Thursday, May 1, 2008

Fear

Caed has many procedures done to him on a daily/weekly basis. After all this time, you would think he would have gotten used to them. However, if it has anything to do with his chest/abdomen area - watch out! You are messing with an area that he is very protective of! One procedure that is done every 7 days is the "changing of his broviac dressing." (port going through chest) It is a major ordeal for him and the nurses have all learned it. Everyone dreads this day! It is a very easy procedure. If any physical pain is involved it is simply pulling the tape off his skin. When it comes time, it usually takes 3-4 of us. One to clean/change dressing - one to hold hands - one to hold legs. There is a look of sheer panic and fear that comes over his face. With tears tolling down his cheeks, he cries out "It's going to hurt!" We hold his hands and TRY so hard to reassure him "it's very easy - it will be ok - I PROMISE!!" Then we have to continue repeating ourselves over and over..."TRUST US! -It's ok - We're right here...just be very still!"

The Lord brought this all too familiar scene to my mind last night. We are experiencing sheer panic and fear like never before. The Lord is messing with an area of our lives that we are very protective of - our child! With tears rolling down our cheeks we say, "It's going to hurt Lord!" And He gently holds our hands and TRIES to reassure us "it will be ok - I PROMISE!" And then He continues repeating himself over and over, "TRUST ME! - It's ok - I'm right here...just be very still!"

So do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
(Isaiah 41:10)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lord who created you says: "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you."


Isaiah 43:1-2 NLT

Anonymous said...

Lori,
I am a friend of Marilyn Lashaway. I do not know you, but have cried for you today. I have lifted you and your husband and Caed in prayer. As a mother I hurt for you. Your blog is an inspiring testimony of your faith. I am simply amazed and humbled. God is carrying you Lori and he is certainly carrying Caed. ~Tian~

Anonymous said...

Oh how I ache for you and Caed and Todd. I can still remember the fear in his eyes and the "it is gonna hurt" comments. I cried when I first saw him and I cry now. Only God knows why this is happening. But at the same time that is a relief. God does know why. And God will get you guys through. I know you know that. Our prayers are with you even more now. And they will not continue until Caed is at home playing and being silly, old Caed!!!!
We love you guys!!!
K & G

Anonymous said...

Todd and Lori,

I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you both to see your little boy hurting so. Sometimes it is hard to understand why God allows things to happen, especially when it happens to our children, but I keep thinking about that song that says when you can't see His plan, trust His heart. But, even then, it is hard.

You will never know the long-term influence your witness through this hard time will be on so many people. You are allowing this hard time to be used for God's glory, and His strength to you is so evident. Caed and your whole family are being lifted up daily by people all across this country.

My family and I are praying for Caed's full recovery and return to a happy life. We are praying not only for Caed, but also for the rest of your family.

Anonymous said...

Todd, Lori
I am so sorry that you are having to go thru all of this. I know that Caed has has enough to deal with also. I just can't stop reminding myself and I know that you too will know this too, but there is a reason for everything that the dear lord puts us thru and we may not know the answers but he does. I am continually praying for you and the family and I so wish tht I was able to come and see all of you. Hang in there and stay strong and know that God is there for you and with you. Love The Gormans

Anonymous said...

The verse you mentioned is close to my favorite.
Isaiah 41:13.
I pray for you all everyday. I may not be an adult and I may not understand the emotional and physical attachment to a child and the pain/joy such an attachment can bring, but what I do understand is this: God works EVERYTHING together for our good.
If you ever need anything, please post it. There are so many of us willing to help with anything we can. Until then, we will continue to pray.
In Him,
Your sister in Christ.

Anonymous said...

Hey Todd and Lori,
We are so concerned for you all today. Please know how much we are thinking of you, praying for you and reminding God of Caed. Lindsey tol me last night that she prays for Caed everyday at school during the moment of silence. That's her daily reminder. Our faith is of greater worth than gold when it has been tested as through fire. Keep on believing. Love, the Hewetts

Anonymous said...

todd and lori- i spoke with a transplant nurse today at work and inquired about "intestinal transplants". she says they are done here at children's as well as big baylor. she mentioned a dr. chinacola that performs the transplant in this area. she says she only knows of good success with them. she also states you should check the website called unos.org for public records concerning where this particular surgery is done, how many are done a year and the succes rate. she also says to see if caed can be put on more than one list. hopefully this procedure will not be needed but you can research it and at least be ready just in case. our hearts hurt for you all and we pray that God will "put a rush" on the healing process. caed has been through more than most adults will ever go through in their lifetime. call if we can do anything for you. 972-382-2637.
love,
susie

Unknown said...

Lori,
Wow, what insight God has given you! I have not gone through what you are going through, but with your writings, I am now at least "equipped" to handle something so catastrophic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your fears so transparently. You are being such a powerful Christian example of how we should handle such painful and difficult situations.
P.S. Cooper picked a bouquet of Buttercups for Caed today.