Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wed. 4/30 - update

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still. (Exodus 14:13-14)

A dear friend from Edna sent us this verse today. We know it was from the Lord because it was exactly what we needed to hear. Today was one of the toughest days (emotionally) for us so far. This morning Todd was supposed to fly out at 6:30, but when I got to the hospital the nurse met me in the hall. I knew something was up by the look on her face. She said that Caed had started throwing up formula early this morning. That is not a good thing! The formula is going directly in through his J-tube (intestines). That meant that something was wrong for it to come all the way back up. The formula was also draining out his G-tube. The dr. ordered an x-ray, and it showed that the J-tube had moved up into his stomach. (they are guessing from the continual vomiting) About an hour later they informed us that we would be going back down to endoscopy for our GI dr. to try to reposition it. Normally each time we have been down there, it only takes 20-30 minutes for the procedure. This morning it was an hour and 1/2. As the clock moved, our worries grew. The look on our dr.'s face said it all when he walked out. He was very frustrated and said he was not able to fix it. I won't go into all the details, but now he just has a G-tube and they will begin trying to feed through it in a day or two. (starting back at 2-3 cc.) He said Caed's esophagus is VERY irritated! (again from all the vomiting) He has been on a heavy dose of med for that anyway. From what we understood, they will try a couple more things before talking more seriously about a possible transplant (in Nebraska). Todd's dad had a heart transplant in '95, so we know some of what to expect. However, the dr. said bowel transplants can be more complicated. They are also concerned with him being on his TPN (nutrition) for 2 months. The longer you are on it, the more likely it will affect your liver. Caed has been in a lot of pain today. I can't write about it. It's heart wrenching!! I also cannot write about the other things Todd and I dealt with today. I want so badly to believe all will be ok, but we just don't know. The verses in Psalm 139 have been a reminder that GOD knit his little body together in my womb (defected and all!). It is GOD who can unravel the mess that it's still in! We want a miracle SO badly! Please pray for the "new plans" to work. Pray that his stomach will begin holding the formula down and things can start healing properly.

Another verse has popped in my head over and over today:

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. (Romans 8:26)

Right now...we do not know what to pray. Our strength is all but gone. I love this verse because it tells me that when this happens, the Spirit will step in and help. And with GROANS!! Not even our human language can express it. Thank you God that You are always with us even when we have reached the bottom and feel we can't go on!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart just breaks for you and your family. I can't even begin to know what your life has been like and continues to be like right now. I was lead to this verse in Numbers 6:24-26
24 ' "The LORD bless you
and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace."

I will continue to pray for complete healing & peace!

Melissa Ballard

Leanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear Lori and Todd,

This is our prayer today.

Dear Lord, You know Caed so much better than we do. You know his sickness and the burden he and his whole family carries. You know their hearts Lord. We ask You to be with Caed, Lori, and Todd now, working in their lives. Let Your will be done in Caed’s life. Lord, we pray for Caed because Your Word says we should pray for his healing. We believe You hear this earnest prayer from our hearts and that it is powerful because of Your promise. We have faith in You to heal Caed, but we also trust in the plan You have for his life. Lord, we don't always understand Your ways, and why Caed is suffering, but we trust You. We ask that You look with mercy and grace toward Caed. Nourish his spirit and soul and comfort him with Your presence. Let Caed know You are there with him every minute. And may You be glorified in his life.

What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee. Psalm 56:3

Bill & Silua Goodwin
FBCC

Leanne said...

Our prayers are that you feel the strenghth of God and know that HE is holding you and your little boy in His arms.

You all have been in our thoughts frequently. We send little prayers continually for strength and healing for you all.

God is good all the time,
All the time God is good!

Anonymous said...

My heart breaks and my eyes flow with tears... I cannot begin to imagine the heartbreak you all are feeling at this moment. Please know there are so many people praying for your family and so many who think only thoughts of healing at every moment. I have asked every single person I know to put Caed (and the family) on their prayer/thought list...strength in numbers and hope!

So much to hope for...

Lee and Teri

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord we are on our knees in prayer for Caed and his family. We ask you to heal and give strenght to this family to Caed to get through this storm. We know the things you can do. Just please heal Caed's body. We are begging you oh Lord. Please send them a mircle Amen. Lori and Todd Im hear and anything you need please ask. My thoughts and my prayers are with you guys every min. day and night. We love you guys. Keri

Anonymous said...

We are hedged in (pressed) on every side (troubled and oppressed in every way), but not cramped or crushed; we suffer embarrassments and are perplexed and unable to find a way out, but not driven to despair; we are pursued (persecuted and hard driven) but not deserted (to stand alone). II Corn.4:8-9

So shall you know skillful and godly Wisdom to be thus to your life; if you find it, then shall there be a future and a reward, and your hope and expectation shall not be cut off. Proverbs 24:14.

Just think of Him Who endured from sinners such grievous opposition and bitter hostility against Himself (reckon up and consider it all in comparison with your trials), so that you may not grow weary or exhausted, losing heart and relaxing and fainting in your minds. Hebrews 12:3

And let us not lose heart and grow weary and faint in acting nobly and doing right, for in due time and at the appointed season we shall reap, if we do not loosen and relax our courage and faint. Galations 6:9

For He (God) Himself has said, I will not in any way fail you nor give you up nor leave you without support. Hebrews l3:5

Lord, we stand in your presence, not wavering but standing in faith to completely heal our precious Caed. We will not waiver, we will not be double minded, we will stand on your Word. We will put on the mind of Christ. We will resist the enemy and his lies. If any of the doctors lack wisdom, Lord, give it to them NOW! We stand in faith of your Word. We will endure this trial. We will wait upon you oh Lord. You will reign forever! You are everlasting! We will not grow weary! Comfort Lori and Todd this very hour! Our hope, our strong deliverer, we put our trust in you. We shall declare your Glory! Amen!

We won't give up praying! We love you all,
Randy, Nancy, Hillary & Matt

Anonymous said...

I was told a story about a lady in the hospital who was near death when an area Chaplain came to visit her. This Chaplain was a very young female with long blond hair. She listened to the lady who was ill and left her a small gift for comfort ~ a tiny ceramic frog.

The next day one of the people from the lady's church came to visit. The lady told her friend about the beautiful young Chaplain who had come to visit her. The friend was so impressed with the way the lady had improved, she felt the need to talk to the young Chaplain.

In her search to find the young woman, she was repeatedly told that the chaplains are never very young and that there was never a person that fit the description given. Upon returning to the lady in the hospital, a visiting nurse entered the room and noticed the ceramic frog.

The nurse made the comment 'I see you have a guardian angel with you,' as she held the little frog. We asked why she made the comment and were informed that the frog stood for:

FULLY & FOREVER
RELY
ON
GOD

Father God,

Help us to FOREVER rely on You ~ on Your strength ~ on Your love. Father, our human wills require that we ask for Caed's complete and total healing. But, Father, reliance on You means bending our will to Yours.

Father, fill Todd and Lori with Your strength and courage and wisdom. Fill each doctor with wisdom. And we continue to ask - no, to plead - for Caed's healing. Father, please take away this little one's pain. He should be out running and playing and laughing.

Father, that's our human will talking again. But I do ask that You relieve this little boy from the suffering that he is enduring. Please, stop the vomiting. Pass Your healing hand over Caed's body.

Relying on You, Father. Relying on Jesus, as He prays at Your side for Caed and his family.
Relying on Your Spirit to change our groanings into intelligible prayers.

In Jesus,
Amen

I am sending out an updated prayer request to all of my email buddies and asking them to do the same.

Your prayer partner in Albuquerque,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Isaiah 41:10
Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.

"I WILL HOLD ONTO YOU". I "groan" with you. I ache from my innermost being. I will be lifting you up. God WILL BE Glorified through this. Love You

Wise

Anonymous said...

I have never meet you but I love your family. I have been praying for you and Caed. I know that your a strong Godly Lady. He will take care of You and Caed. I pray that He continues to give the doctors wisdom and healing for Caed.
I know that medical expenses are high, I would like to know if there is an address that people could donate money to. I know that God has put people in my life to help me with my cancer treatment. I would love to help with some of the burden of expense. It will not be much but I am sure others would also love to help.
Love and prayers,
Annie Zercher
Aiken Center for Urology