Thursday, September 18, 2008

Thurs. 9/18 - update

Just the two of us.............................



Flat lands and corn fields...........that was the picture I had in my head when I heard the word 'Nebraska'. I've quickly found out the truth. It is absolutely beautiful. Green everywhere, gorgeous trees and rolling hills. I took a drive this afternoon and was amazed by God's beautiful handiwork. (it doesn't take much to impress this West Texas girl) Today was exactly what I needed.

...our hearts are like a photographer's film - the longer exposed, the deeper the impression. For God's vision to be impressed on our hearts, we must sit in stillness at His feet for quite a long time. Remember, the troubled surface of a lake will not reflect an image. Yes, our lives must be quiet and peaceful if we expect to see God. (Steams in the Desert)

That's exactly what I was able to do much of today. Sit in stillness and listen to God. This morning while Caed was getting his blood drawn, the nurse told us about a park near the University. It was a beautiful park.....huge shade trees and GREEN everywhere. Plus, it was about 80 degrees. As Caed played, I sat. My heart has been "busy and anxious" the last 2 weeks particularly. It's been awhile since I was able to do exactly what I experienced today. Just sit and be still. The future is no more clear to me than what it was yesterday. I did not have any life-altering revelations from God. But.....He calmed my heart, gave me such a peaceful, quiet afternoon just watching my little boy play! He reminded me to take joy in His daily mercies. Sure, my family is spread out in 3 places, and Caed is still sick. However, what tremendous blessings He has poured out over us. Instead of worrying about an uncertain future, I was reminded to live in the here and now. To make the most of TODAY!!! To get barefoot with Caed and sit and dig tunnels in the sand. To climb the monkeybars, slide down the twisty slides and swing! Today I played with and enjoyed my little boy!

When we left the park, I was fully intending to head back to the hospital. I had groceries in the back! But as soon as I pulled onto the street, I noticed Caed was asleep. I decided to just drive. I knew if we went back "home," it would be a long night just the two of us cooped up in that room. So, I drove and drove and enjoyed the beautiful yellow rolling cornfields. Without even realizing it, I was headed to Lincoln. (only 30 minutes away) So, I thought, sure.....let's go see Lincoln! I drove through the University of Nebraska campus. Very different from Tech! To me it looked like a college campus smack in the heart of downtown Austin. It was a neat atmosphere, just very, very different than what I am used to. Then....we drove over a few blocks and saw the state capitol. Pretty cool. There were several neat places that we might go back to one day. I would LOVE to go to a UN game, but.....probably won't happen. (wish Tech played them here, but it's in Lubbock this year) Caed slept the entire trip! I guess I shouldn't be expecting an early bedtime tonight.

Tomorrow is the dreaded dressing change. Please pray for this! I can assure you if it's like last week, it will be very tough. (the nurse did not use adhesive removers....ugghh!)




Caed played with another little boy
named Cade today! It was sure good
for him to finally get to play with
other kids.



He was pretending to be "Bear Grylls"
starting a fire (from Man vs. Wild -
one of Caed's favorite shows)



Univ. of NE football stadium



Capitol Building

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori
I am so glad that you and Caed found the park and had a great time. Our prayers are still with your family and pray the dressing change goes better than last week.

Patti Ray

Melissa B said...

Great picture of you and Caed. I am glad you had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Lori-it was great seeing Caed playing at the park and having that beautiful "Caed Smile" on his face. Like you said, sometimes you just have to be still and just listen. I still lift you and your family up daily and I especially pray the dressing change goes better this time. Love, Sherri Rogers

Stacey said...

Cute pic of just the two of you!