Sunday, September 21, 2008

At least one answer...

For Your eye is on the sparrow, so I know You are watching me......................!






We were getting ready for church this morning when I got a call from our IRP coordinator, Brandi. She said, "Your son has C-diff." (diarrheal disease) Maybe that explains the 8-10 times a day he's in the restroom.

In a nut shell......C-diff (c-difficile) is a bacteria that grows everywhere (but especially hospitals). It doesn't create problems until it grows in abnormally lg. numbers in the intestinal tract. One main symptom is persistent diarrhea. That we have!

She wants him to get on Flagyl (which he's been on many times before) and also Culturelle (this is a supplement containing the probiotic lactobacillus). This is "good bacteria" that should help fend off the bad. She also told me to make sure I am washing my hands like crazy....and not just the hand sanitizer stuff (doesn't work with this).

I am having such mixed emotions right now. I am SO glad this has been officially diagnosed, and we are now trying to treat it. However, I guess there's that other side that just feels....if it's not one thing, it's another. I know there is so much going on in Caed's body. So much that is obviously not seen from the outside. Like we've said SO many times before, on the outside.....he's a normal little 5 yr. old boy (who just happens to wear a big backpack and goes to the restroom a lot!) Left untreated, so many of these things going on with him, could be very serious. I'm just happy we have found this one out now.

My sister-n-law, Megan (from SC) told me about a blog she came across. Many of you know Stan and Megan adopted a little girl from China 2 yrs. ago (wow!...can't believe it's been that long!), and so this story especially touches their hearts. It is about an American couple who traveled to China to adopt their daughter. When the day came to get her, they were told she was in the hospital (in serious condition). I will let you read the words from this precious mother about their experience (www.roomforatleastonemore.blogspot.com), and make sure you have a box of Kleenex close by. ha! It has touched me greatly. In many ways it puts me right back to when I was the mother watching my child suffer in the hospital and not being able to do anything about it. It is hard going back there! But.....like Megan and I have talked about, it also has made me so grateful of the care Caed has and continues to get. We are SO blessed to live in the US with such incredible medical facilities and drs. Even though my day is not going as planned (to church), but instead to go get Caed started on these new meds, I am thankful for the call I received this morning. That they are on top of it (on Sunday morning none the less!) and have provided for us 'at least one more answer'................................

Please pray that these new meds will begin working. Brandi said if the Flagyl doesn't, they have some other options. It's one thing to get a diagnosis, but altogether another for the treatment to begin working.

Oh God! My heart has just been given yet another burden to carry. Please calm my spirit, and give me a peace through this seemingly "never-ending" storm. Just like I've been reading.....YOU are the God that moves mountains! I know Caed's situation is not out of Your reach....in fact YOU are the One holding it and him! You are the One holding me! You are the One holding Todd! You are the One holding Reagan and Caleb! You are One holding our families and friends as they walk through this and help us through it! YOU are the same God that is holding this precious little girl who lives across the world! YOU TRULY HAVE THE WHOLE WORLD IN THE PALMS OF YOUR HANDS!!! Thank you for loving us. For caring for even the tiniest details in our lives. Help us all to remember that there is NO MOUNTAIN high enough or big enough that YOU cannot move!

Help us to trust in YOUR ways................................

Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens.
(Psalm 68:19)

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thank You, Lord, for putting a name to one of Caed's afflictions!!! Now, by Your power, heal him of this C-diff for you are the Great Physician. All praise, honor, and glory to You!
Lori, I am so thankful for Caed's diagnosis. I recently had a name put to a physical problem that I have had for MANY years and it feels so good to know what it is finally. I have such a peace about my situation and about Caed's. God will take care of this as well. He is in control and He loves you and your family more than you can imagine. He is so good.
What a blessing to "know" you and your family and to be able to pray for all of you. I will continue to help bear your burdens as you and yours walk faithfully and obediently with the Lord.
Sending my love and asking Him for His showers of blessings for each of you.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

You are right Lori-- God is the mover of the HUGE mountains in our lives... He created them too, rely on him today with this new news to move those mountains he created-- looking to the creator of the mountains and crying out to him today with you!

Stacey said...

Hoping and praying the meds will stop your 10 daily (and nightly) bathroom trips! I know it's got to be a pain adding in even more meds... but how great it would be if a round of flagyl could end the bathroom trips, end the dehydration, etc!

Melissa B said...

Flagyl is strong - Ken had c-diff a few years agao and this is what they used. Probiotics are so good for you anyway, but with his gut issues, he NEEDS them. I am so happy they found out something and so awesome they called on Sunday. Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lori, this is Amanda, Megan's little sister. I have never posted before but I do read your blog everyday. It is the first thing I do in the mornings. I truly believe that in 20 years when this all a memory, you should publish some of this into a devotional becuase that is what it is. You are showing the world how truly devoted you and your family are to our God and in turn so many people are learning just how simple our lives can really be if we just give it all over to Him. Yes, we will all face hard times and maybe even question God's motives, but in the grand scheme of things, there are no "what if's" with God and for me, that is one of the most comforting things about my relationship with our Savior. I read where Caed was going to be put on the Flagyl and just wanted to let you know that when Addie was diagnosed about 2 years ago with a parasite in her small intestine, she had a lot of the same symptons. Relentless diarrhea and losing weight instead of gaining. She was on the Flagyl for five days and it completely killed off the parasite. I pray that this is the case with Caed. Just wanted to let you know how much you have touched my heart these last few months with your blog and how grateful I am that you're in Megan and Xan's life (as well and the rest of the Everitt's). Thank you for sharing how great our God is with the world.

Amanda Q.

Anonymous said...

Lori, I have noticed how God is directing your path, day by day. Don't be discouraged, my daughter, says the Lord, for I am right beside you with watchful care to guide you through these coming days. Do not fear for I am with you! I have been overcome with joy at your obedience to seek me FIRST! and to put me FIRST! Blessings are still overflowing upon you,Caed, Todd, Reagan and Caleb as you walk through this trial. You have learned to overcome and walk in my peace. For the joy of the Lord is my strength and stronghold. Neh. 8:10. Amen!

Much love,
Randy, Nancy, Hillary & Matt

PS. Lori, ask the doctors about 3LAC (www.ghthealth.com). It is presently being promoted by Jim Carey and Jenny McCarthy. She uses it for her son Evan. It is the MOST powerful probiotic that I know.

Anonymous said...

Lori,
Cole's Grandmother, JoEllen, had C-Diff last summer. The gave her the flagyl and it worked really good. I hope and pray the same for Caed. At least you have a name for it and a plan.
Hang in there.
We love you guys and lift you up continually!
Steph