Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Mon. 4/7 - update

Today started out very good again. When I came in, he was smiling and being silly. Todd said he slept from 10 - 7!! (never has he gone that long). We went for a walk (ride) down to the gift shop and also to stop at the cafeteria for some "Chick - a - lay." He wanted chicken nuggets, french fries, and ranch! By the time we got back up to the room, he wasn't feeling too great, and wanted to save his food for later. At 1:00, the ECG people were here. They decided to bring it to our room instead of us going down to ICU. Caed of course got very scared when they wheeled in the big machine. They told us they would sedate him so they could get a better reading. Apparently in some patients it has an adverse reaction. Of course....Caed was probably one of them. It began working a little AFTER the procedure was over. ha! About 2:30, he started crying with severe pains. We have not seen this in several weeks. He also began running a high fever....103. He would settle down a little bit, fall off to sleep, and then awake with the pains again. This cycle has continued all afternoon/evening. Our nurse said the contrast fluid they pumped in him yesterday for the c/t scan sometimes can cause bad cramping. So, hopefully that's all that is, and when it goes through him he'll be better. He also has shown A LOT of anger tonight. He normally is never mad at me (others, yes), but I just noticed what intense anger he was having. A good friend stopped by and said there are some meds (sedation) that can have this side effect. (her husband is a dentist). SO......hopefully that's our answer to that as well. I guess we could conclude that if he had not had any of these drugs / procedures, today might have been another good day! They found out this morning where the infection is coming from: broviac! (catheter in chest) This is very common for those with central lines and also those who have TPN's. He has both! They started him back on an antibiotic and will find out tomorrow what kind of bacteria it is. We just have to wait and see if the antibiotic can kick it; otherwise there are other options that we may have to look into.

I guess after you've had several good days in a row, you just begin to expect them. There were several things that happened today (that I won't go into) that made it VERY difficult! (emotionally) Todd leaves for Celina tomorrow, and I know it's going to make it even harder for him to leave if Caed is not better. Please pray that tomorrow will be a new day!!

Many of you are probably very familiar with this song from David Crowder, but it has taken on a new meaning for me through all of this. It's especially meaningful after a day like today!!

Never Let Go
When clouds veil sun and disaster comes
Oh my soul - oh my soul
When waters rise and hope takes flight
Oh my soul - oh my soul - oh my soul
Ever faithful ever true
You I know
You never let go
You never let go
You never let go
When clouds brought rain and disaster came
Oh my soul - oh my soul
When waters rose and hope had flown
Oh my soul - oh my soul - oh my soul
Oh my soul overflows
Oh what love - oh waht love
Oh my soul fills with hope
Perfect love that never lets go
Oh what love!
Oh what love!
Oh what love!
In joy and pain
In sun and rain
You're the same
You never let go

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys
its 3am i am just checking in and wanted to say i am praying for todd a safe trip and that the antibiotics will work. also that caed will calm down his anger. i luv you guys so much and want you to come home soon. addie

Hattie said...

Oh, how our hearts are heavy for you during these trying times! Thank you for the wonderful journaling, so we can keep up with you daily, and also know how to better direct our prayers. We love and miss all of you, and pray that God's healing hand will continue to be upon Caed's body. May God continue to strengthen all of you as you minister to Caed's needs. Love and Prayers, Ike and Ann Peterson

Anonymous said...

Good Morning to a new day.

Addie, right behind you this morning. Lord, we stand upon your unfailing grace. Our hope is stayed on you!

Again, Lord, we come against the fiery darts of the enemy that are robbing Caed's joy. Lord, I take a firm stand in your Word that you have made Caed completely whole and healed. More than anything else, we know you love us.

Lord, I know you work through doctors and their wisdom but I speak now that the testing come to an end. We have prayed complete healing to Caed's physical body. I ask all testing be complete for Caed to be released from ICU and the hospital.

It seems an act of congress must happen to pass through the line of command to be released. We ask this be the last of testing so Caed has time to rest and heal. We are pleading now for his protection and no setbacks to happen.

We speak peace over Caed right now as he rests. All anxiety to leave and be replaced with your love.

Teach us to pray Lord. Pray with your wisdom. Let your holy spirit fall upon that room where Caed rests. Touch him, the doctors, the nurses, everyone who enters to receive you Lord.

The sound of angels wings fill our ears. Oh, we Praise your Holy name. We ask all these things in your precious holy name. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Little Buddy, Mondays are tough! But you, Caed, are stronger than any bad Monday.

Father, I add my prayers to Nancy's in asking that Caed's testing come to a close and that he can walk joyfully out of that hospital soon. I pray for complete dissipation of the bacteria around those tubes. Let the antibiotics work in a complete assault on the germs so that they are annihilated quickly and totally.

Father, I pray that today, Tuesday, April 8th, will be a wonderful day for Caed, Todd, Lori and all the family. Give Todd a safe trip to Celina, and help Caed to be praying for that, too. We know that when we can focus our energies on someone else, our problems don't seem to be as bad. And yes, Father, a 4 year-old little one can pray for his daddy.

It's in Your Son's holy name that I pray,
Amen

I do like that David Crowder song, though most of his stuff is a little too "rocky" for me, but that one has a great message. The Family Life Radio station here in town plays it often. A sister station in Lubbock is at 90.1 FM and in Midland/Odessa it's 90.5 FM and AM 920 (in case you haven't found a good station).

Anyway, you all continue in my prayers.

Your sister in Christ in Albuquerque, Debbie

Anonymous said...

Caed, I want to thank you for calling Greg yesterday. It made him soooooo happy to hear your voice and for you to sing to him. Lori, thank you for remembering his birthday in the midst of your storm. You guys are truely awesome and amazing friends!!! Caed, we are continuing to pray for you. We will never stop!!!
We love you!!!
K & G

Carolyn said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for all of you. I found out about little Caed and his problems from a friend and am checking on him daily now and PRAYING! My heart goes out to all of you as you watch Caed. Our daughter has Crohn's disease and we watched her go through this suffering before her bowel re-section surgery. It is heart wrenching. But our God is bigger than Caed's problems and He will triumph through them all. Sending my love to you all and asking for His showers of blessings on each of you.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain
Montgomery, AL

Anonymous said...

What a bright light may shine within us when it is all dark without! How firm, how happy, how calm, how peaceful we may be, when the world shakes to and fro, and the pillars of the earth are removed! Socrates used to say, "Philosophers can be happy without music;" and Christians can be happier than philosophers when all outward causes of rejoicing are withdrawn. In Thee, my God, my heart shall triumph, come what may of ills without! By thy power, O blessed Spirit, my heart shall be exceeding glad.
I know of Caed and have followed well, The path which has been trod. In a silent prayer, your names are raised and God's glory be praised.