Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thurs. 10/2 - update

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you. (I Peter 5:6-7)


Praise God! Only 2 days ago, I was on my knees crying out to Him, and now I feel 'lifted up', re-energized, and encouraged. Todd drove all night and arrived here in Omaha around noon today. I had told Caed that he was coming, but said he was flying and we needed to go pick him up at the airport. So, we decided to go eat at McDonald's and then we would go get Daddy. Meanwhile, Todd was there at McDonald's waiting to surprise Caed. He was SO excited!! After lunch, Caed wanted to take his Daddy to one of our favorite new parks and play baseball. (although he did tell Todd that "Daddy could choose whatever we did today because this was HIS special day! ha!) It sure is nice to have him here. "Dads" just have that special touch that us moms don't when it comes to their sons and sports. They have played baseball and football ALL day! (at the park, through the empty halls of the hospital, and now in the room). We came back to the Lied this evening and crashed. Not sure what all we have planned the next several days other than heading back out to the pumpkin patch. Caed has been talking non-stop about it and is wanting to show his Daddy.

Another praise is that Reagan, Caleb, and my parents ARE getting to come!!!!!! They will fly up next Fri. night. My dad will have to head back to work on Mon., but my mom and the kids get to stay for several days. Thank you God for hearing my cry on this!!!! I just can't even picture what Caleb looks like or is doing these days. It just seems like forever since I've seen him. (it'll be a month!!) Don't get me wrong, I equally am missing Reagan too, but I know she has obviously not changed like he has. Reagan called us yesterday and told us the news. Caed screamed! He is SO very excited to see everyone again. As you can imagine he is making BIG plans when they all get here!

Thank you for your prayers. God has truly blessed our family with these 2 mini-reunions. We still will not ALL be together (us 5), but we'll take what we can get. I know that even if God had not allowed Todd and the kids to come up and visit, He would still carry me and get me through these next several weeks. But, boy am I thrilled He chose to do it this way!! Thank you Lord!

I began visiting with a mom yesterday here at the Lied. Her son is also here with SBS (short bowel syndrome). He is 18 months old, and like most with short gut, has been dealing with it since birth. As I sat and listened to her, I heard her frustrations, her fears, her fatigue....as they mirrored my own heart. We cried together and laughed together. However, there was one thing that was very different. I knew she didn't know Jesus. Although our stories of dealing with our sons' health issues, being away from our husbands and other family, feeling torn to also be there for our other children were ALL the same, that one detail was not. I heard the hopelessness in her voice. As I tried to share how God had gotten our family through thus far, I still felt I was talking to a brick wall. After I left, I felt so burdened for her. And at the same time, SO thankful to God that we have not had to go through this alone. Yes, I'm thankful for all of you and the ways you have helped us, but that is not the 'help' I am referring to. There is "a help, a friend, and a Father" that far exceeds any human kindness. I truly DO NOT understand how people go through tough times without the Lord. I know there is a difference. Even though we have felt at times we have hit rock bottom or that we couldn't go on.......we also knew that it was not up to 'us' to make it through anyway. HE is the One carrying us every minute of every day. Believing the Sovereignty of God and the fact the HE MADE CAED'S PATH CROOKED FOR A REASON, is an indescribable comfort. Yes, even in the midst of grief. Having a Heavenly Father that you TRUST with every detail of your life (good and bad) is such a wonderful gift. As heavy as my heart became after talking to to this young mom, I also had such a uplifted spirit. Just thanking God for loving me, for calling me His Child, and for continuing to 'lift me up' time and time again.

Who can straighten what He has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other.
(Ecclesiastes 7:13-14)

And we know that in ALL things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose........... (Romans 8:28)




Todd sneaking up on Caed



Surprise!!!



baseball with Daddy







Beautiful Memorial Park

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So happy that Todd made it in safely and boy, what a look of surprise on Caed's face. Have lots of fun the next few days. Will be talking to y'all later.Love Mom (Grammy)

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys.....what a great God we have! So glad for the neat "surprise" for Caed, and so happy for you and Todd. Stopped for a second from marking for the g. sale in the morning..ugh Still have so much to do...Leann and Colby are here,too...but, just wanted to see if Todd got there safely....Todd, sorry I didn't get you some "much needed" Chocolate Cookies made for your trip! Enjoy your days together! Love you....MeMe

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Todd made it there safely. I LOVED the look on both Todd and Caed's face. Such a priceless picture.
Love,
Keisha

Anonymous said...

Yay! So happy for you! Praying that you enjoy your much deserved time together. Hug Caed for us.We love you,
Philip and Joy

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!! I love it!! That's the stuff movies are made of!!! SO glad you guys are doing ok. Praise GOD! Love yall!

Kelly said...

Im so glad Todd made it safe and sound. What a wonderful surprise for Caed! Enjoy your time together. Love you!

Anonymous said...

The look on Caed's face is priceless. What a great surprise. I hope you three have a great time together. I'm sure it's just what you need.
For the young mom you talked to, you may not have seen immediate results but the seed has been planted for her. I pray she takes to heart what you talked about with her. I pray her heart be open to God.
Have a great time together.
Steph

Anonymous said...

what an awesome God we serve! so glad for the surprises and blessings he is pouring over your sweet family! may he continue to fill you ALL with strength, peace, and understanding! love ya'll! still praying!

Carolyn said...

I'm caught between wanting to cry and grinning ear to ear as I read your blog and saw the pictures. What a loving God we have and how magnificently He has provided for you and your family. I know you will have a very special time with Todd and then with your parents and kids. I'm just so happy for all of you and so thankful. Oh, my, how incredible is our God!
Will be praying for you and the young woman you talked with. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you have the opportunity to talk more with her. Yes, she needs Jesus.
Sending my love and prayers as always.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

Lori & Todd,
Love the picture of Caed!
I pray that God heals Caed and your precious family can be together soon.
Lori, I agree w/ Stephanie about the young mom you met. You have planted the seed in her and in God's time it will flourish.

God Bless!
Monica,Phillip & Hernandez Kids

Anonymous said...

your encounter with the other mom is just another example of how Caed's story is impacting so many people - those who already know our Jesus and those who don't. What a marvelous opportunity to share what God has and is doing in Caed's life and all your lives. Just think, now your Army can be praying for her.

Have a great time with Todd and Caed this weekend. Soak up all the fun so you can relive it in the weeks to come. And, how wonderful that more good times are coming when the rest of the family gets there.

Anonymous said...

Lord Jesus, I pray that you will use Lori and your other 'warriors' to reach this young mother. Thank you that you put both of these women in the same place at the same time with the same 'storm' for them to go through so that you could show both of them your MAGNIFICENCE.