Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tues. 10/21 - update

Well........we definitely had a short night, all right, but it wasn't because of an early flight. My mom was pretty sick last night with a stomach bug. I went and got Caleb around 3:45 am. Between Caed and Caleb, I finally got in bed by 5:45. However......surprisingly I don't feel too bad today. It's been a good day actually. This has been the first time in a long time that I had the 3 kids completely alone. I hate so much that my mom got sick, but just like all things, I think the Lord has purposes for everything!! Two that I can think of is: 1) it gave me confidence that I can do this. I was able to get all Caed's meds together and administered, go to a dr. appt (w/ all 3!), do school for Reagan and Caed, and also take care of Caleb all by myself. Not saying it was easy, but "do-able." 2) I think this has given my mom a long overdue "break." The throwing up stopped and today she was able to just sleep. Something I know she desperately needed. Our plan is for her to take it easy again tomorrow, and then see how she feels Thurs. morning.

Caed's dr. appt. went well again. He actually lost a lb. this week, which I was very concerned about. However, Dr. Mercer made me look him right in the eye and said, "I am NOT worried." He feels like it could simply be water weight he lost. Since we drastically decreased Caed's IV fluids this past week, he thinks it could just be that.

The GI dr. was there today and he wants to go ahead and get Caed started on growth hormones. His level is so low it's untraceable. Todd and I are very in favor of this and hope it can also help his bowel.

They want us to skip clinic next Tues. and simply come in for a weight check. We will also draw blood on Thurs. and Mon. (as usual)

The following clinic visit (Nov. 4th), they will see how his labs look and possibly decrease IV fluids again (probably down to just 3 hrs. /night).

They want to do another small bowel series in January. They will look to see if his bowel is dilated anymore. If so, they will then take a serious look at the lengthening surgery.

Again, they told me how well Caed was doing. Dr. Mercer said that was why he has been pushing him so much. If Caed continues to lose weight, he said "we will simply slow down.....no problem."

We will stop the Gentamicin this week (start back up the following). Also they want to double the dosage of Caed's Imodium. I didn't notice it helped at all this week (still had about 8 stools/day), so hopefully increasing the dosage will make a difference. Pray it does!! They also want me to increase his tube feeds the next 2 weeks and get up to 100 ml/hr. (he's been at 90 for a couple of weeks).

You know, I was so dreading Caleb and my mom leaving. This is sure not the way I wanted a few extra days. I just pray that Caed or I (primarily) do not get the 'bug' next. I know it is going around.

Thank you for your prayers concerning my mom and also me. We made it through today, and my mom is feeling some relief (just exhausted).



Thanks Russ! Boy was he excited
when he saw it!!



...he told me, "I think it's too big for me" ha!



Thank you Butler Family! They nagged me
all night and this morning to get to paint their
motorcycles. Finally, they got to and loved it!!!


4 comments:

Stacey said...

I always love hearing your clinic updates! Continues to sound encouraging! Glad your mom is feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Lori and Caed,

We may need to think about some extra padding. Hope he enjoys it on game days. Nice to see ya'll together. Praying that "mom" is feeling better. We're watching out for "dad". Glad the clinic went well today. Love ya'll, tell Caed HI!!

Mr. Russ and Kristi

Carolyn said...

Sounds like the doctors are right on top of Caed's condition, Lori. God will show them exactly how to proceed. He is faithful.
Glad your mom is feeling better and that the Lord is upholding you in the midst of it all. He will carry you through.
The kids look great and I know you are enjoying having them all together once again. I could really see the love y'all have for each other in Reagan's video. I love that!
Continuing to pray and sending my love to you all.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

I am a daily lurker. I heard a song that made you come to mind. It's called While I'm Waiting and can be heard here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD8Z-m4jaYw

So many are waiting...waiting on a spouse to come home, a baby, an answer to a prayer, a job, a cure to an illness.

Be encouraged.