Friday, October 24, 2008

Fri. 10/24 - update

We have survived today! It started out very early, and very cold and wet. However, my mom and Caleb made it back just fine. She said he did great on the flight. I think my mom deserves an award! Not only for traveling alone with a baby, but especially for being able to change his dirty diaper in the "spacious" airplane lavatory!! Bravo Nana!!

Caed has really done well today. In fact....I was so shocked when my alarm went off at 4:45 this morning, and I had not had to get up with him to go to the restroom all night! Huge deal!! So far, he has only gone 5 times today! He never once complained about his tummy hurting either.

The LORD will sustain him on his sickbed and restore him from his bed of illness.
(Psalm 41:3)

I have also done surprisingly well today with Caleb leaving. Don't get me wrong, my heart literally was aching as I watched them walk through security. I think it would have been much worse had we gone with the original plan and Reagan had to leave too! Todd is planning on flying up on Thurs. and then Reagan will head back with him the following Tues. Now...that I can tell you is going to be a very difficult day! After having his sister here to play with for almost a month and then it just being the two of us again.....it's going to be tough. However, I'm hoping by then, we won't have too much longer to be here.

Caed also had his weekly dressing change today. However, it was a little different in that his nurse was teaching me how to do it. Last week, I just watched (for the 30th time since it all began) and took notes. This week, the plan was for ME to actually do it while she watched. It was more difficult because Caed is used to me holding his hand, and today that was not possible. I had to keep telling him he couldn't touch me! (hard to do as he's crying wanting me) It's a very serious procedure because you have to be very sterile. This line goes into a vein near the heart. That's why line infections are a bad deal. They can attack the heart. Anyway....let's just say I have a really unsettling feeling about doing it. Our nurse told me that 1/2 of the parents do it themselves, and the other 1/2 have a nurse come do it. I know a couple of people personally that do it to their kids, but.....I don't know. I have confidence with all the other "nurse duties" I have had to take on, but for some reason I just don't have a peace about this one. Our nurse told me when she left that she would continue to come and show me and help until I felt good about it, but I don't know if that will ever happen. This has been such a traumatic experience for Caed from day 1, and now here we go changing it up on him. You would think he might like this better, but he kept telling me today, "I want her to do it!!" I think he smelled my fear! ha!

Todd just called and told me that there is a possibility one of the radio announcers for the Texas Tech football game tomorrow is going to give a shout out to Caed! How cool! They play Kansas at 11. I have included the link to the radio broadcast (Tx. only), so if you think about it and you're out driving around this time, tune in and see if you hear Caed's name. I know the game is being aired on ESPN, so many of you will probably just watch it. But just in case.........be listening!

http://texastech.cstv.com/sponsorship/radio-affiliates.html#fb





Loading up - 5 am



They were packed in like sardines - having
to sit on the suitcase because there wasn't room
in the trunk.



Do you know how hard it is seeing this empty now?




Also....how difficult it is passing by their
room!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Central line dressing changes are hard! I don't blame you for being nervous about it. I really can't imagine doing it on my own kid... since they would be trying to grab me with sterile gloves on. Yikes! Good luck!

Glad ya'll had an okay night last night (even if it ended too early this morning!). We hope you are on the home stretch of your Nebraska stay! We're also very glad to hear that Caed seems to be shaking the stomach illness. It's funny that after his constant throwing up, that he was the only one who didn't throw up with the stomach bug.

Anonymous said...

Another crisis and another time the Lord has shown his faithfulness. I am so happy that all is going better. Just keep looking forward to the time real soon when you can be the family of five again. Prayers are still continuing every day for all of you.

Carolyn said...

What a full and challenging day you have had! Praying for peace and grace for all of you as you continue to seek the healing that God has for Caed. I know it's coming. God's faithfulness will carry you through.
Sending my love, hugs, and prayers as always.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain