Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sun. 6/8 - update


I long to dwell in Your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. (Psalm 61:4)

Yea! We actually made it to church! My plan was to get everyone ready like we were going, and yet know that even at the last minute, we might have to stay if he didn't feel well. When I told him we were going to church, his eyes got so big and he said, "Addie is going to be so excited to see me!" He thought we were going to our church in Celina. I didn't know exactly how to respond. I didn't want to make him sad. I told him we were going to go to another church today, but very soon....we would see Addie at our church. We decided to go to FBC Roosevelt. This was the church Todd and I got married at, and also the first church Todd served as youth minister. It is a small church and one that we felt so comfortable at. Most everyone there either knows us or they have been told about us. So, I felt more at ease if Caed got sick and we had to get up and leave. He has been (and continues to be) on their prayer list. This precious church has supported us in numerous ways throughout all this. We will forever be grateful! When we got there, we sat on the back row (so I could make a quick exit with Caed if needed). He did great through 1/2 of it. In fact, I had to get on to he and Reagan for having a little "too much" fun. ha! Although deep down, I have to admit I loved seeing it. After awhile Caed gave me the sign, so we stepped out. We sat in Todd's old youth room (which was fun for me reminiscing all the times we spent in that room 10+ yrs. ago). Caed threw up several times. After church was over, we didn't get to hang around too long because he still wasn't feeling well. Once we got home I could tell he was running a low temp again. He actually had a pretty good rest of the day/evening though. Of course, he did get sick probably a couple more times (that's just our normal day). This evening we went back out to Lee J. and Sandy's. Caed did really well. He was the "life guard" for all the kids swimming. He was responsible for throwing the tubes in when sharks were after them. They had fun. We left about 9:30! Normally Caed is being hooked up by 9:00. But, I knew he was doing ok, and the change of scenery was good for him. He was definitely ready for bed tonight!



You might be wondering why the change from the past 2 days (which were awful!). We decided last night to not hook up his G-tube feeds. I believe we got our answer today. Apparently there is just something about the formula or whatever (?) that his stomach does not tolerate well. The previous 2 days he hurt a lot, threw up continually, and of course never ask for food. I will call our GI dr. tomorrow to let him know what has happened. I think if we can just go back to the way things were prior to the new feedings and REALLY try to encourage food as much as possible, we might begin to see a change. We were seeing some progress before. Please pray that he can begin to hold food down more and more. Our nurse told us about the BRAT diet for those with sensitive stomachs. (Bananas - Rice - Applesauce - Toast) We are trying to really watch what he eats (bland), however, a 4 yr. old will only want these type foods so long! We are already seeing him become very disinterested in these. Our goal is to follow this plan, but try to branch out with more variety/choices for him. Please let us know if you have any knowledge or ideas on this. Everytime we look at him and see his yellow skin and eyes, it is a reminder to us he HAS to start eating more so we can get off the TPN!



Good news for all you in Bobcat Country!! I made reservations for the kids and I (& my mom) to come to Celina for a weekend visit in 2 weeks! I have really been wanting us to be able to do this, but also concerned that Caed just wasn't in good condition to do so. We are finally feeling a little better about it. He is still throwing up several times daily, but is learning more how to deal with it better. When we are in the car or somewhere away from home, he has his "blue bag," a small towel, and some water, and he knows what to do when he gets sick. Our PLAN is to fly in June 21st and leave out the 24th. (Reagan will be staying the whole week for VBS, and flying back with Todd that Sun). Caed is SO excited about coming! He talks about getting to see his room and all the teenagers! This is another BIG prayer request. Please pray that things can remain the way they are now (or BETTER!). I keep worrying something will happen and we won't be able to go. I debated on not telling him until a day before, but I also know this little boy can use all the good news he can get. This has made him so happy, and is helping him look forward to something. I called his dr. before I made the reservations, and she said it was ok and was happy for us to be able to go visit for a few days. Pray that it does work out, and that he would do ok traveling, etc.... Also pray for his Mama....I'm sure I'll be a nervous wreck!






Caleb - 4 mos. old today!

8 comments:

Stacey said...

You might check out "the maker's diet" book. I read it awhile back at a friend's recommendation. The guy who wrote it followed a biblical diet to help with stomach issues. I don't know if any of it would be applicable in Caed's case, but it might be worth looking at. So glad that you guys made it to church! What an answer to prayer. Sorry to hear that the tube feedings aren't working out. Hopefully you'll just be able to do "real" food instead!

We'll keep praying!

Anonymous said...

A trip home?!
I will MOST definitely be praying for that to work out. Celina just isn't the same when one of our own isn't here...
Can't wait to see you guys again!

Anonymous said...

Yea you are coming home I am so excited and can not wait to see you!Caed you made me laugh and cry because I miss you when you said Addie is going to be so happy to see me you know the drill every morning I saw hello to you at church and I have really been missing that I love you Addie

Anonymous said...

My heart just SOARED this morning as I read the blog! I am so happy for you all to get to go for a visit to see your friends and "family" in Celina! I'm so excited for Addie! Even though I don't know her personally, I feel as though I do and I know for sure one thing we have in common and that's our love for you Hollingsworths! ! ! I can't even imagine how excited they will be to see Caed and of course Caleb who was such a tiny thing when this all started! AWWWWW Thank you God, you are AWESOME! Of course Lori I'll be praying for you for this to be a good trip. I'm so excited for you to be going HOME! ! ! !! FUN! Continuing to pray for my little Caed Bear that his tummy and insides will continue to heal and he can start eating more and more and staying well!
Love you guys so much! Hugs and Kisses to all! Hi Nana!
Love,
Tina

Anonymous said...

This is such great news. I have been praying for you ALL. As a senior citizen with lots of digestive problems I have found that good ole baby food gives a variation and is helpful in times of digestive problems. I know the Lord is going to heal Caed and reunite your family soon.
Our prayer for now is your trip to Celina.It might be the greatest medicine for you all.
Love you

Anonymous said...

I hesitate to even suggest this, but I know someone who had problems like Caed's for years and found that she was allergic to gluten. Your doctors have probably already ruled that out, but thought I would mention it anyway.

How wonderful it will be for him to take this trip home; for you, also.

I will continue to lift you and your whole family to our Lord.

Anonymous said...

We are so excited that you guys get to come home for a few days! We rejoice in the small victories and continue to pray for the healing in Caed's little body. Keaton asks about Caed nearly every day and is very concerned about his friend! We love you all and send up much love, concern, and joy!

Anonymous said...

Lori,

What great news that you will be coming to Celina! We have all missed you so much and look forward to having you here even if only for a few days right now. We are asking God to pave the way ahead and make this possible for Caed and your family.

We are rejoicing in the news of your trip to church last Sunday and in every one of the small victories that God is giving you.

Praying.....
With love,
Toby, Pam, Ryan and Connor Peters