Monday, June 2, 2008

Mon. 6/2 - update

We had some bad moments today, but I would have to say overall it was good. This morning was rough. You could tell he just didn't feel well. We had our first appt. with the Pediatric Behaviorist this afternoon. She was very nice, but this first appt. was just getting info from Todd and I. Caed sat in my lap, clinging to me the whole time she was in the room. He has truly been traumatized by the medical field. I tried to explain to him before we went that Mommy and Daddy were just going to "talk" to the dr. and he could play. He did fine, but like I said, was very clingy. The office that we went to also has regular pediatricians practicing there as well. As we sat in the waiting room, I couldn't help but "overhear" the other moms and dads talk about their child's ailments: stuffy nose, ear ache, sinuses, etc... I wished so much that we were there for such a simple reason too! Although Caed wasn't going to have a painful procedure done to him, the fact that he is suffering from something so much more serious than a summer cold was hard. I'm sure through the years I have been that "other mom" sitting there so worried about my child's cough and sore throat while other children and moms with life threatening conditions sat beside us. How this has changed my perspective! Right now Caleb has eczema extremely bad ALL over his little body. Yes, I called the dr. and asked for advice, but....before all this happened with Caed, I would have been a nervous wreck worrying about it. Instead I've found myself thinking, "I hate that he has this awful looking rash all over him, but thank you Lord all his organs are there and working!"

The dr. said Caed is definitely suffering from PTS (post-traumatic stress disorder), and that honestly the thing that will help the most is simply...TIME! Auughhh! That word again! No, as hard as it is, I am thankful for it. She also is putting together a packet to help us understand it better, things to try, the stages of grief (which she said he is going through), etc... We will also begin seeing a "play therapist" soon. I'm assuming it will involve fun, creative ways for Caed to deal with lots of built up frustration, fear, anxiety, etc...

He ate a few things after his appt. He was feeling so good...and we have learned to literally PRAY over every bite he takes. He threw most of it up, however. We have an appt. with our GI dr. tomorrow morning. We have several questions we want to ask. Hopefully, he can shed some light on our concerns. I know this is a very obvious statement, but if he could just stop throwing up, he'd REALLY be making major progress. Some of the other problems he has had in the past don't seem to be an issue anymore. My good friend Sarah told me today, "remember when throwing up only 7 times a day used be a good thing?.....look how far he has come!" So true! I needed that reminder...thank you so much!

Caed went to bed on a good note....very happy and also with a Ritz cracker in his belly! :)


Having fun at Grammy's
(he is wearing one of Todd's shirts
because he got sick)


The Hollingsworth men


Reagan's new hang out spot! (we tried to make
the basement a room of her own...Bergan comes
over, they go downstairs, and we don't see
them for HOURS!)


Now how many babies do you know
that can lose a diaper while fully clothed?

No comments: