Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thur. 3/20 - update

Today started out very good. I brought Reagan up to the hospital with me this morning. The Children's Hospital was having an Easter party at 10:00 in one of the playrooms, and I thought Reagan and Caed might enjoy being there together. He was SO happy to see his sister again! The party went well, and he hunted lots of eggs. He wasn't able to bend down to pick them up, but he would let Daddy know when he spotted one. The "Easter Bunny" was also there, but Caed wanted nothing to do with him. Throughout the party he kept asking me, "What if I throw up?" We assured him it was ok, and that we had all the necessary "items" in case he did. He got tired during it and wanted to sit down in front of the aquarium to watch the fish. That didn't last long either, and he was ready to get back to his room. Once there, he DID get sick. Poor guy, I know he is getting tired of throwing up so much. HOWEVER.....we have noticed a huge change there. Instead of every 2 hrs., he is now up to about every 4-6. He started his new meds for the ulcers, and we also have been staying more on top of the nausea med. (one of those, if not all are really helping in that area) The GI dr. said the biopsy they took of the ulcers came back negative (meaning they were not caused by a bacteria). He said these were "stress ulcers." Not in a way of being "stressed out," but rather your physical body going through a MAJOR trauma and it being greatly stressed. They also said the meds should really begin making a difference. (I think we are already seeing it) This afternoon however, Caed was really in a lull. He was very whiny and didn't want to do anything (go for walk/ride in wagon, etc...). He just seemed extremely sad! He had such a fun morning with Reagan and his cousin Haylee. I'm not sure if sometimes there is a big let down after he has had a fun, good time. Those things or people eventually are gone, and he is still stuck there in that room (alone). We are thinking about bringing Caleb up to see him tomorrow. Again, it's one of those things you know will make him SO happy and yet SO sad. (he hasn't seen him in 3 weeks!) The drs. are still not giving us any time frame in how much longer we'll be here. It literally is one day at a time. His surgeon told us yesterday that we would give these new ulcer meds 3-4 days, but if the pain spells he's having continue to be intense, we would consider another possible surgery. Right now, we are seeing a change in Caed as far as the pain and also the frequency of throwing up. They are not gone, but definitely LESS!! We are optimistic and are praying things continue to only get better. PRESSING ON............!!





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd and Lori, Praise God that Caed is getting better. Seems strange that i have known Todd since he was this age. My mom and i are praying for you daily and Katie keeps us up to date too. Your both so strong and I know God will get you through this tough time. God bless you and Caed is in my prayers.
Love, Mistie and Nelda Stone

Anonymous said...

Todd , Lori, I have been gone for a few days but I have thought of ya'll several times while I was out and wondering how everything is going. I am so thankful that things seems to be going better for Caed. Our prayers are still going and will continue for all of you. I have a gift to send and I will try and get that off to ya'll. I am glad that Caed was able to get out of room to see a different scenery sometimes that helps more than you know. I will be checking back later to see how things are going, and I know God is with all of you and is giving Caed the strength that he needs to get better and also ya'll to keep going. Happy Easter and God be with you!!!!!!!!! Love, Angie and family