Wednesday, August 27, 2008

24 stressful hours!

Well, we are officially back home again. We were discharged around noon. It was a very scary day yesterday. I'm sure most have been filled in with the details, but for those who have not heard: Caed went to bed Mon. night about 10:30......he woke up during the night to go to the bathroom like normal, but then the next morning, he would not wake up. Finally, around 10:30 am, I went in and raised the shade and began singing to him. No response. Then, my mom went in later and physically got him up out of bed. He was pretty upset. He lay on the couch and began really crying. He wouldn't open his eyes, wouldn't tell us what was wrong. It was then 12:30 pm....and we knew "something" was up. My dad and I rushed him to the ER. They ran some tests, and basically concluded it was a "drug reaction." (he looked and acted like someone on drugs) When he would open his eyes, they were glassy, and we could tell he really didn't know where he was, etc.... They began pumping him with fluids. Finally, around 5:30 pm as we were moving up to a room, he began "waking up." (he had been "out" for almost 20 hrs.) Several hours later, he seemed to be back to good 'ole Caed. We have stopped a couple of the meds that might have caused it, and they are also analyzing one in particular (I had opened a new bottle the night this all happened). It was the strangest feeling being there. Everything SO familiar, but yet he was eating.....smiling....laughing....not in pain or throwing up....talking to all the nurses....going for walks, etc... It was just weird being in that setting (with such vivid awful memories) and yet Caed was ok. We were so thankful (don't get me wrong), but just had strange feelings. Caed told me as we were leaving the room today, "Mommy, I'm going to leave my cup right here so it will be here when I have to come back." It broke my heart. Then, while we were down in the cafeteria eating lunch (Caed's highlight from it all!!!), he said, "I hope I will not be sick forever!....and also get to live at Joyland forever!!" ha! Just hearing the precious heart of a child.

Thank you all for your prayers yesterday particularly. It was a hard day (physically, but especially emotionally!) We felt them....and guess what? They were answered!! Praise God!

Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in Your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. (Psalm 61:1-4)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give thanks to God. He is always there isn't he? Maybe this is a reminder that we must pray even more until Caed is "well" again.We must not slack off on his good days but give thanks even more.
Lori you and Todd are such special parents it will be ok. I love you both
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God. He is so wonderful. I'm so glad to hear Caed is better. I know that must have scared you to death.
Plese let me know if there is anything I can do.
Love ya and lifting you all up in prayer daily.
Steph

Anonymous said...

How great is our God!!!

But, how very scary for you and Todd. There is no fear like the fear we can feel when something bad happens to our child.

Please hold on to the knowledge that so many are lifting you up to the Father all through the day and night.

Anonymous said...

Thank you God for bringing Caed through this, but also thank you God, for allowing them to see at the hospital, how far Caed has come from the past 5 months. Thank you God for your healing hands, that have truly been healing him. Thank you God for all the wonderful Drs. & nurses you have blessed them with. Thank you God for clarity on Nebraska. Thank you God for this wonderful blog that I read each & everyday. Thank you God for speaking through Lori & allowing us to absorb each & every word that is typed. Thank you for your goodness. Amen

Anonymous said...

Blessed be the Lord! Bless His Holy Name. Praying for you daily, look forward each and every day to see how EVERYONE is holding together.God Bless and give you strength to do what you have to do.

Carolyn said...

PRAISE GOD! Thank You, Lord, for taking care of them all! So glad things have settled down, Lori. God is so good.
Continuing to pray for all of you as you walk this journey. I'm happy to help bear your burdens through prayer.
Sending my love.
In His love,
Carolyn O'Cain