Monday, April 13, 2009

Stranded

....in Omaha and St. Louis.

We have had quite a day...to say the least! Oh...goodness, where do I begin? First of all, I want to say a HUGE thank you to Wayne and Kendall our dear SW friends. They have gone above and beyond for many, many months and today was no exception. What would we have done without them!

Our day began before the crack of dawn at 4am. Todd, Caed, and I drug ourselves out of bed......and if we had only known what this day was going to look like....we probably would have just crawled right back in.

We were graciously given 3 free passes for our trip to Omaha which is such a God-send! However, with that....means you have to fly stand-by. We knew that and were perfectly ok. It's a FREE flight. I don't care how long or how many flights we have to take....just as long as we get there. We took off at 6:30am from Dallas and got to St. Louis around 8:45. As we landed, the flight attendant came over the speaker and said, "we need the Hollingsworth family to get off the plane when we reach the gate" (probably wasn't exactly in those words.....much nicer). They said the next flight on to OMA was looking full, so we needed to wait until all the passengers boarded and then see if there were any extra seats available. There were only 2! So...in a matter of about 20 seconds.....we had to make some quick decisions. I grabbed Caed....all our carry on bags, and threw Todd my cell phone. (another important detail to this fun day!.....Todd realized as we were going through security he had forgotten his phone) I knew he would need one more than Caed and I. We were boarding a plane straight for Omaha.....once we got here, we would be fine. So I thought.......

Kendall would be in touch with Todd the rest of the day trying to get him to OMA as well. As Caed and I boarded back on the plane it was clear that this was a FULL flight and that we were the last 2 passengers. Now...put 2 and 2 together and you'll know just why I began to worry.
The flight attendant told me we would have to sit separately. I guess it was from the way things were already going. I got a little teary-eyed thinking my little 5 yr. old (with a medical condition) would have to sit with strangers and I wouldn't be able to see or help him. So, I knelt down and tried to explain to my little wide-eyed boy that these nice gentlemen would be his friends and take good care of him during the flight. (with tears in my eyes of course) One of them quickly stood up and very politely offered to give me his seat next to Caed. I definitely wanted to cry then.

Caed and I made it to Omaha, but the trouble just continued. You see...in St. Louis when we had seconds to decide who was going where with who.....I didn't even realize Todd had the credit and debit cards. So, when I went to get our car rental, I was told NO. Even though I had more than enough cash.....they still needed "the evil card!" So, there we were. No cell phone.....no credit or debit card.....just me and a 5 yr. old (exhausted) little boy who didn't understand where Daddy was and why Mommy was crying (again). The only thing I had was my laptop. I immediately got on Facebook b/c I knew that was best chance of contacting someone...anyone who might help me think! It worked. I was flooded with comments. Even found a friend who called my mom. Finally...after a few more hours and several times being paged over the airport loudspeaker, I just decided to go get a taxi and get Caed and I to the hospital (at least). We still didn't know about Todd or our luggage.

Immediately before I went to find a taxi, I received a fb message from my good friend Bethany in Edna. It was a simple but very heart felt prayer.....asking God to provide....and to protect us. I cried again knowing it would all be ok. As Caed and I made our way to the empty taxis outside, my heart began beating out of my chest. Without going into too much detail, let's just say....it was NOT a very safe situation I was placing myself or my child in. I literally prayed OUT LOUD as we got into the backseat. "Lord please protect us....in JESUS name!" It was the most surreal 15 minute drive I've ever experienced. I knew the way precisely to the Lied....and with every correct turn the driver made I thanked God. Then, as I handed him my money and quickly grabbed Caed and ran to the door....the tears began flowing once more. Tears of total fear......and then tears that I was finally HOME....safe! The Lied was our home for 3 months in the fall. Everything about it is familiar, the sights and smells....and I love them!!

Our dilemma...our stressful day was still not over. We needed to get a room, our luggage, and our Daddy! They did not have one available, so we went to our regular waiting spot (the transplant clinic lobby). I got back online (and was blessed beyond measure) by IM-ing some of my best friends (who were all together). Oh...I was literally laughing out loud. Lesli, Holly, Marnie....I needed you right at that moment. Thank you! Caed of course went straight to the playroom and found some good friends just his age. They played and played. Finally, 2 hrs. later they informed me our room was ready. THANK YOU Lied for taking cash!!!!! Wish more places did the same.

So, here I sit. My only source of communication, this crazy ole' computer....and facebook of all things. I was finally able to talk with Todd a few moments ago. He went ahead and bought a ticket on the next flight to Omaha (to ensure he gets here and doesn't have to sleep in the terminal....ha!) He should be arriving around 8pm. Now, we just pray our luggage is safe and sound.

I am exhausted and have the worst headache. This has definitely been one of those days I will not forget. I remember at one point while Caed and I were in the airport and I was feeling utterly helpless. I had NO clue what to do. I was quite honestly angry and began asking God,"why? why? why?.....why are you allowing this? what is your purpose? enough is enough." I knew the answer even as the thoughts crossed my mind. CHARACTER! How are you supposed to build character when everything is always easy in your life? When everything always goes just as planned. When there are no disappointments or setbacks? I believe He uses them. Not that He enjoys seeing us suffer or struggle or even cry. He doesn't. But what potentially can come from those moments I believe gives Him incredible joy. To see His children come upon a mountain (no matter how big or small it seems)....and tackle it....to see the "good" in it......to persevere....to "rise above".....and to trust that it is actually HIM who is carrying them....US!...over it anyway.

Thank you all SO MUCH for praying for us today. I absolutely felt it! How awesome is our God that He uses the prayers of others (no matter how far we are) to help us get through tough days.

Caed has a busy 2 days ahead of him. Tonight he will start a liquid diet (bowel prep for the scope). I will have to shut off his feeds at 5 am, then at 8 we head down to the treatment center for IV fluids and lab draws (lots of sticks....ouch). Then, our clinic appt. is at 10 where we talk to his drs. about how he's been doing and the plan for the future. (Please pray for more time off feeds!) Then, at 1:00 he'll have a scope (colonoscopy and upper endoscopy....going in through both ends). I know this is so necessary, but it's one of the tests that I dislike the most. Caed will be under complete anesthesia, which is so hard for me to watch. (going limp in my arms) He also comes out of it awful!!! Crying, yelling, growling, you name it....ha! Hopefully it won't be too bad and we can immediately come back up to the room and let him sleep it off. Then..... Wed. will just be a bone scan and small bowel series. Should be done by noon if the barium flows well. If he feels ok and the weather is decent, we might try to join one of our fellow short gut friends at the zoo. We will attempt to get back home (in one piece) on Thursday. Again flying stand-by. Please also pray for this. Caed has a t-ball game that night. Not a big deal if he misses.....but I sure hope we can be home for it.

Todd just called the room and he is finally ON THE PLANE!!!!!! Hallelujah! Should be here in another hour. Hopefully all the "drama" is over....................................

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my what an experience.I am so glad it worked out for you all. I now know the Lord was in all this as I just felt a need to pray for Caed right after lunch. I did not even know you were on your way to Omaha.I just had a feeling to pray again for him.Thank the Lord you all made it safely. Now to get thru the tests and good results.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying over the weekend for a safe flight--Thank you Lord, for taking care of all the stressful details of today. Glad y'all are all back together and praying for a good night's rest. I know you all are exhausted. Lori, hope your headache is better. Caed, many prayers will be said for you the next couple of days. You be a brave little man and you will be back home soon. Praying for good results and a "together" flight home. Keep me informed. Thanks. Love to you all--Grammy

Anonymous said...

Hi. I found Caed's blog through the link on Ellie Brogan's. I am from Mt. Vernon IN. I have an almost 5 year old son( birthday is next Sun.) who has short bowel syndrome. Caleb became short gut when he had a midgut volvulus at 2 1/2 years old leaving him with 38cm of jejunum, no valve, and most of his colon. It is something to find someone else who's kiddo became short gut as a toddler or older. It is something to hear you talk about vitamin deficiencies because we are now running into that too. Caleb has been off tpn/lipids one year in March. He had the labs to check his vitamin levels at his last clinic appointment. His D came back <5 and his B12 is at 313. He sees a GI doc at Cincinnati Children's. We thought for sure he would want to go ahead and start B12, but he doesn't feel like it is necessary yet. I wish he would reconsider. I just want to go ahead and start it and know Caleb has what he needs. I read the post about Caed getting baking soda for the sodium bicarb. Is that for a low CO2. Caleb has chronic low CO2(19-21). We just had his D-lactate level to check for D-lactic acidosis, but that came back good. I guess Caleb's CO2 is just low because he has loose stool most of the time. I think he would really benefit from Na Bicarb therapy. Did the doc advise you on the dose? My husband and I have 2 other kiddos Sam(8yr) and Katelyn(8 months). I am glad I came across Caed's blog. I will check it often. Caleb has a carepage. The carepage name is calebfischer. We also have a blog at ourfischerkids.com

God Bless,
Tracy, Andy, Sam, Caleb & Katelyn Fischer

Anonymous said...

This is Tracy Fischer again. My husband just pointed out to me that I didn't get the blog address quite right. It is ourfischerkids.blogspot.com

Tracy Fischer

Anonymous said...

Oh what a day! I'm so sorry I wasn't praying yesterday and never had the chance to check your blog or facebook. I forgot yesterday was the big travel day! Glad you finally got there and glad you had so many that was praying for you. Well, I'll just start praying now! Love you,
Mar

Anonymous said...

I was stressed out just reading about you day, cant imagine living it. Glad everything worked out ok. I will be praying for good results from all the test and a BORING flight home!!! Take care and tell Caed and Todd Hi for me.
Sheri C.

Anonymous said...

Lori, you are always such an inspiration! Thank you for keeping us informed of what's going on. I am praying for all of you and giving thanks to God for your safe arrival! Love, Lyndi