Saturday, April 18, 2009

Devin's story

If you missed Nightline last night.....you can still watch it online.

www.abcnews.com (click on Nightline at the top) You actually need to watch Part 2 first....then Part 1. (I think they got reversed)

Anyway, it really touched us. I cried through the entire show. I guess it just hit a little too close to home for me! We were SO close to this one year ago (after Caed's 3rd bowel resection) when the drs. felt a bowel/stomach transplant was the only option left for Caed. I PRAISE GOD everyday that He slowly began healing him over the course of the summer. I know Caed is not completely out of the woods. With Short Gut, you just never know. This is something he will live with for the rest of his life. We can only continue to pray for God to grant him mercy and ultimate healing.

Caed actually watched most of it this morning. He kept wanting to see Devin's "tummy" (intestines). He had lots of questions regarding his own surgeries, and thought it was so cool that Devin had a g-tube and central line just like him!! Hope it was a good idea to let him see it. I know he does not fully understand what all has happened to him, but I love showing him other kids that wear backpacks or have g-tubes, etc.... Helps him to feel he's not the only one. That's why Devin has become so special to us. He is the only other child (boy) Caed's age! And his mom has helped me so much in understanding this illness. Thank you Colleen!!! What a joy it would be if some day we could meet!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much as I did not get to watch last night due to the weather. I am just amazed at what can be done in medicine today but we still rely on the Great physican. This was so touching and makes us even more grateful that Caed has come such a long way in his healing. I just continue to pray for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lori for the heads up. We did stay up and watch it last night and were also touched by the love of these adoptive parents and by Devin's courage. I had wondered if Caed saw it too. We just continue to pray for continued healing for your very special boy! (loved the T-ball pics, too!)
Carol for us both

Randall and Heather Cleckler said...

Wow Lori. I'm right there with you on the tears. If only everyone could understand the magnitude of eating for the first time is. What a tremendous blessing and what incredible parents.

Thanks for the site!

Heather a.k.a. Chase's mommy

Anonymous said...

That was awesome and amazing to watch! I was in tears as well. You guys and Devin's family are in our prayers!