Sunday, December 7, 2008

My gift

Today is my birthday. It was a wonderful day. Nothing over the top happened. Just an ordinary day filled with dear friends and my precious family. Earlier this evening I caught myself thinking, "This was a great birthday! What I desire more than any gift is just to be with my family, and that I got."

But, I received something else today. A call from my parents saying my Granny had gone to be with Jesus. The initial heart ache. The sorrow. The tears. However, the more I listened, the more my heart was filled with joy. What a wonderful birthday present! My Granny got to meet Jesus today. Something she asked for repeatedly. "Just let me go. I want to go home."

My Granny was one of the Godliest women I knew. She was so faithful. So wise. So giving. She deeply loved the Lord. I want to be just like her!!! I wonder if she ever knew the impact she had on my life. The example she was to me. I am forever grateful for the heritage of faith she was apart of. She and her husband taught my dad about the Lord, lived it out.........and in turn, he continues to teach me the same.

And did I mention she was a mighty prayer warrior? I don't think any of us (family) truly will ever know just how much she prayed for us. Just over the last 9 months, I know she covered Caed with intense prayer. She wrote me a beautiful letter while he was in his sickest days. The power in her words. The plea to God for Him to heal Caed and in so doing be glorified.

I could write for hours about my Granny. Just the memories. The way she loved music and would praise God through it. How she would play the piano (or her accordian) with her 2 sons on their guitars. The singing. The laughter. The homemade rolls! And let's not forget the infamous teacakes!!!! I don't think I got much of her musical talent (unlike several of the others), but a few things I did would be her love for pictures and also letter writing. She and I wrote back and forth for many, many years. I remember when I was about 10-12 years old, she told me, "Lori, I believe you're going to be a writer when you grow up." I thought she was crazy. I hated 'Writing' in school. However, I did love to write letters (and journal). I guess I'm still doing it to this day. The means have definitely changed from cutesy Hello Kitty stationary, address labels, and stamps to laptop computers and blogs. But, apparently she saw something in me such a long time ago.

My dad shared with me that not even an hour before her passing, he was pleading with God "to be gracious to her!" And that He did. He did not allow her to suffer too long. Oh! How God has waited for this day. To welcome her home!!! What a wonderful reunion is taking place. Her first husband died when I was only a year old. 35 years she has longed to see my PawPaw again. Not to mention her mother and father and other family members. What a glorious day this turned out to be!!!!!

The Lord blessed her with such a wonderful life. Loving family. Friends too numerous to count. A heart for ministry. Good health. And many talents (which she used for HIM!!) I feel overly blessed myself tonight. God chose a very special woman to be my grandmother. She lived out her faith and challenged me to do the same. I will miss her dearly! I will miss everything about her. But, in the same breath........how happy I am knowing that today she is in heaven praising God.........fully restored and with her loved ones.

"The Lord gives...........and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord!" On Dec. 7, 1972, He gave life to me. He gave a young husband and wife the surprise of their life when they were told, "It's a GIRL!!" Now, 36 years to the day later.............He gave LIFE to my Granny. Some would say it ended this evening.

We all know better. Her life is just beginning................................

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:1-3

I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori,
Happy Late Birthday. It sounds like it was wonderful. I'm sorry to hear about your Grammy but also rejoicing with you for her homecoming.
I am truly amazed and blessed to read your blogs everyday. You have such a gift for writing and expression. I look at things in a different light now because of your writings and trials. You have inspired me. Thank you for continuing to minister to us, as well as, blessing us by inviting us to be a part of your journey. You are touching lives beyond comprehension.
Thank you and happy birthday.
I love ya!
Steph

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday. It will always be the one to remember as that is the day your precious granny went to see Jesus. She can be rejoicing today in all her reunions with family as we are all rejoicing with your rennion with your family of 5 in Celina.How faithful is GOD to keep his word. May we never forget all the prayers he has answered.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Lori! My condolences towards your granny, she sounds like she was a very special woman. She was right about you becoming a writer, I expect to see you publish one day.
Bridget R.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I was just going to write you an e-mail to ask about your Granny and saw this blog. Granny was right...you DEFINITELY have a gift for writing! And you have honored her by these thoughts written on your birthday. May God ease the heatache and enrich the memories.
Love and prayers,
Carol

Anonymous said...

Happy Late Birthday! I'm so glad you got to be with ALL of your family! Praising and Praying for you today Lori and continually! love ya!

Anonymous said...

Where would we all be without the faithful prayers of our ancestors! I think this is one of those times we all must realize that we must be praying for future generations and what an impact that will have! You feel "covered" when you know these warriors are alive and praying... Strange feeling to accept the baton of being the one in that place! I remembered as I read your blog at David's mother's service they talked about how we should be camel kneed in our prayers! I get caught up in wondering if all this work is void! Reading the blog makes me take a deep breath and realize the difference it makes! Oh that our children would walk with HIM and carry out His plan for their lives! It is my prayer today and everyday! Also, I do know what an influence Gwen was on my parents. My dad did not grow up with the legacy and I often hear him tell stories of the influence they had on his life. God is changing our legacy for His good! For that I am thankful! We just don't know what an influence we have on our neighbors! I also have such fond memories of the summer we spent with her eating toooooooo much cheese and making memories that will last a lifetime! My kids still ask why I took so many pics of the BULL in the field! Someday they will know... not today! Love you friend and all the sweet family that has made an impact on our family!

Bethany said...

So sorry I missed your birthday!! Sounds like it was bittersweet for you. We're certainly keeping your family in our continued prayers. Your friendship is a true gift, Lori! Love ya!!

Carolyn said...

Happy birthday, Lori. God truly made a very special young woman when he created you. We are all blessed by you.
Praying for you and your family as you say your earthly good-byes to your grandmother. She sounds like she was an amazing and Godly woman. Sounds like you two are a lot alike.
Praising God for His Son Jesus and His gift of eternal life through Him.
In His great love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Becky Woodward said...

Lori, I remember Raymond and Gwen so well - they were my Training Union teachers at Idalou. I vividly remember Gwen and that accordian! Their love for the Lord, each other, and the students they mentored was so obvious. I can only imagine the celebration and glory she is experiencing right now as she embraces the very presence of our soverign Lord! My prayers are with you, your Dad and Mom, and all the family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I want to send my thoughts and prayers to you at this time. i am sorry to hear about your grandmother. But what a joy to know that someday you wil see her again in Heaven! I also wanted to wish you a belated birthday!

God Bless,
Patti from lusby, MD

Anonymous said...

Lori - just wanted you to how how much your note on your birthday and Gwen's 'home going' meant to us. You expressed her life and the person so many of us knew and loved. Bless you and your family. HER FIRST CHRISTMAS IN HEAVEN - WOW

Anonymous said...

Lori, one of the best gifts I received this Christmas was YOU stopping by room at school. I know you were very busy. Thanks for the hug too! I really enjoy your writings! I agree with someone who said you are touching so many with your witnees and love for God.
I wish many blessings for you and your family and a abundant health for Caed.
Love and prayers,
Sally, Idalou