Saturday, November 15, 2008

There's something about "home"

This morning our good friend Julie called and invited the kids and I to join their family at the movies. It was cold (actually snowed a few hours), so it was a perfect day to do something indoors. Afterwards we went over to Jeff & Julie's home to let the kids play. Reagan and Caed sure enjoyed it and when I told them it was time to leave, Caed responded......"Mommy I wish you had a meeting to go to so we could just stay." ha!

There's something special about a home. Something I never fully realized until we moved here to Nebraska. It's not the new furniture, upgraded appliances, the colorful paint on the walls, or the latest decor. A true "home" has nothing to do with any of that. Those are simply things people do to their houses. Things that don't last....................

Julie kept apologizing for any messes that we saw. The piles of laundry, kids' toys, or even the few dishes in the sink weren't "messes" in my eyes. They symbolized life. A family living together under the same roof. Something I SO long for!

The past 2 months, I have caught myself looking at homes a lot. Whether they were the big, beautiful (million $) ones or a small simple house with chipped paint and a leaky roof. I have tried to picture what kind of family lives inside and the dynamics that make up their home. I remember one morning in particular, we had just taken my mom and Caleb to the airport. It was probably 6:30 am. I was stopped at a red light and I found myself so caught up in the homes that sat there along the road. Lights began coming on and you could literally see the "life" emerging inside, waking up ready to tackle a new day. It sadden me. There's just something about "home." I have tried to bring those comforts to our little room here at the Lied. But, it's just not the same. I know it doesn't matter the square footage or how comfy the couch is. You can create a "home" anywhere, right?

Then I remembered the old saying......."Home is where your heart is."

My heart is currently divided in 3 places. (Omaha, Celina, and Idalou)

I am so grateful for the wonderful answers to prayer for Caed. The light at the end of this tunnel is getting bigger by the day, and soon the 5 of us will all be home.................

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes Lori, The light is shining in that tunnel and you will all be home together, the FIVE of you SOON! On that day we will rejoice along with you... we will cry those happy tears and look to the creator for healing Caed. Still Praying...

Carolyn said...

No, it won't be long, Lori, before all 5 of you are together again. Just think how much the Lord has done in each of your lives. How incredible He is. His mercies are new every morning. Great is His faithfulness. I'm so happy that you will all be together again soon. Makes me smile a BIG smile and warms my heart.
Sending my love and continuing to pray.
In His great big HUGE love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

greg and i are so excited for you guys! all 5 of you together! what a true blessing that will be!!! we love you guys and continue to pray for you daily!!!

Anonymous said...

I am just so thankful that the Lord has been there with you every step of this journey. These last few days of waiting will be hard I know but when Todd walks thru that door you will know it is for real and then get Caleb and your family will be together and in a home at last. You have all been so super and strong and have kept many of us praying and thankful for a a God who loves us so much. Still praying.

Anonymous said...

Do you suppose that ONE DAY in heaven, God will say - YES, all of us are finally HOME, HALLELUJAH1