Thursday, November 20, 2008

Omaha Blessings

I cannot believe we have been here 11 weeks! When I flew out here the beginning of Sept., I thought it was for only 3-4 at the most. Some days were very difficult, but the Lord was Faithful (as always). We got into our routine, found the stores we needed, passed the time by going to the zoo, park, and other fun places, and just tried to live one day at a time. Looking at the 'big picture' was something I tried so desperately not to do. But, taking it day by day......and week by week (along with God's grace) got us through.

Omaha, Nebraska will forever hold a very special place in my heart. I know I have only been here 3 months, but it seems like much longer. I have spent many days just driving.......either because I was totally lost, or because I just wanted to see the country. It's beautiful here. God used the scenery many times to speak to me or just calm my anxious heart. As I think back over our time here, many blessings come to mind. Just like in all things, we have seen God's Hand in this from day one. I will never forget the night before we flew out. I was sitting in the office in our home in Celina, getting ready for the trip when my phone rang and some "stranger" was on the other end. ha! That was YOU Carol!! You were so nice, so giving, and appeared as though you genuinely cared (for this family you did not know). God began preparing for us before we ever left Texas.



Carol and Cordell have been a tremendous blessing to us. What special, special people they are! Truly they have the gift of hospitality. To take in "strangers" like they did is something that has spoken volumes to me. They will forever be our "Nebraska parents." God knew what we needed and He searched Omaha over.......there were only 2 people that fit the description. Thank you both for everything!!! I have had many people ask me how we knew them. Actually......we didn't! They did not know us. Their daughter attends FBC Lubbock (whom I have still never met), and is good friends with one of MY best friends. Again....God knew, and used just the right connections to get us together. We could not have made it here this long by ourselves without them. We will be forever grateful!!

We are also thankful for the connection to another sweet family, the Opperman's. Julie and I have already discussed how this is not good-bye. We will continue to stay in touch. Again, I think of this family, each one of them.....and KNOW without a doubt God hand-picked them as well to cross our path. We love you 4 very much! What amazing things I have learned from just being around you.

Having Reagan join us mid-stream was also a huge blessing! Not to mention getting to see my parents and CALEB!! There's no way I could have gone almost 3 months straight without seeing him! I am so thankful that we had the time we did. It was short but sweet. Reagan's presence has made a big difference. It has been really good for Caed and her both. Being homeschooled has allowed them to be "best buds." They are each other's primary playmate. After all this happened with Caed in March, their little worlds were turned upside down! They were immediately separated, and "normal play" between them did not resume until later this summer. (almost 5 months!) There have been many fights here.......but also lots of days filled with giggles and laughter. They have had to use their imaginations quite a bit (being so limited here with toys and space), but I pray many memories have been made.

I am also thankful for Life Spring church. To be able to be in worship every Sunday (in a town you do not live in) was such a blessing. One that I did not even think of before we came. In my mind, we were coming solely for Caed's medical needs. Did not expect to find a church that ministered to me the way this one did. God once again knew exactly what I needed and provided it 100%!! I am grateful for having a "church-away-from-home."

Above all else.......the biggest "Omaha Blessing" I can think of, is this hospital and the Intestinal Rehabilitation Program. They have had an important part in Caed's healing. They did not have "magic tricks" up their sleeve, nor did they alone bring Caed to where he is today. But.....they have added their piece to the healing puzzle. God's hand ALONE controls the different pieces. It is He who sees the big picture and is able to put each piece together at the proper time. I am thankful for these doctors, nurses, and all IRP staff that God provided. One of my big concerns has always been changing doctors and "starting over." Even though there were difficult days in the beginning, God was Faithful, and I am so grateful for the smooth transition.

Omaha has almost taken on a personality of its own. I feel like I am having to say "good-bye." I will miss this town. I have so many precious (and painful) memories here. However, just like the people here, I know this is not good-bye, but simply "Until next time......................."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you all, too!! But we are so happy that you soon will be back home and then in just a little while, be reunited completely! What a wonderful family you are! We thank God for allowing us to meet. I will write more later, but for now, have a GREAT trip back to Texas!
Love you LOTS!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I love you Lori and the way you share your heart! It is wonderful to see the way you have grown through all of this. God has and will continue to bless you and use you in so many ways! I, too am thankful for Carol and Cordell and the Opperman's. That's been my prayer for all of you since you left here that you would find friends that would love all of you as much as we do, to be your second family. God is SO good!
Take care and rest in His hands until you are all reunited and home again.
Hugs and kisses.
Love you all as we continue to pray,
Tina

Anonymous said...

How wonderful it is to have God's faithful hand on us as we go through hard times and uncertain days. How like Him, as a loving Father, that He allows us to look back and see how He has knit everything together to bring us through those hard, uncertain times. I know that as much as these wonderful people in Omaha have blessed you, they have also been blessed to be used by God in such a wonderful way.

And, how blessed we all are to be able to read of these times and to be able to witness what God is doing in your lives.

Have a wonderful trip back to Texas.

Anonymous said...

I just can't imagine the feelings you all have getting ready to go back HOME!!! I will pray that you have safe travels and I am thrilled for you that your family will be back together.
Lara in Indiana

Carolyn said...

I hear a woman who has matured much in the Lord since she arrived in Omaha. What an awesome God we have. He truly has shown His amazing faithfulness to you and your family. Such precious memories and wisdom has come from this time in Omaha. I am so proud of you, Lori. You took one step at a time with the Lord and walked the entire journey with Him. He has provided your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ... one of my most fervent prayers for all of you. Can't wait to see what He has in store for you back in Texas. It's going to be so wonderful.
Sending my continuing love and prayers.
In His great big ENORMOUS love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Melissa B said...

This message made me smile! What a blessing to have crossed paths with these wonderful people. I have read about them and was so glad you met them all. I know it has been so hard for you, but you still are one of the strongest women I think I have ever known - you have shown such beauty and grace this past year and let us all share in that. Thank you Lori!