Monday, November 10, 2008

Mon. 11/10 - update

...keep calm and don't be afraid.....(Isaiah 7:4)

My nerves are basically shot. I feel like Caed is going in for major surgery tomorrow. I'm just so nervous about pulling the line. Two reasons: first and foremost the trauma that Caed will experience and yet he knows nothing. I have been told there is no anesthesia....no numbing medicine...just YANK! (they said they won't tell him what they are doing.....kinda like you do when you pull your child's tooth). However, just the fact that Caed will have to lie up on that table and then me take his shirt off.......just that alone will get his blood pressure up. "Pulling this tube" is something Caed has cried and cried about over the past 8 months! "Mommy, please don't let them pull it!" He is going to be SO scared tomorrow!!! The second reason I am dreading it is plain and simple FEAR! What if we're taking it out too soon? I know these drs. would not do something as major as pulling a child's line if they didn't think it was time. I know they don't just do it for the 'fun of it!' I need to trust them.



I talked many weeks ago about the game plan for Short Gut kids here undergoing rehab. 1) get them off TPN............check! 2) get them off hydration (line out)........possible check tomorrow! 3) then gradually wean them off feedings from G-tube. This is SUCH an answer to prayer. We are getting closer and closer! He's doing amazing!! His stools have drastically decreased the last several days......3-4 total!! Even though he currently is positive for c-diff again, he has made such huge progress overall. Tomorrow (pulling line) should be a wonderful - praise filled day! (I'll be praising when it's over!!) Our appointment isn't until 1:00, so please be praying that hour!!!!

I guess we will also find out how much longer they want us here. We're thinking maybe just a week. ???? I am SO ready! I am missing Todd and Caleb like crazy! Today was a hard day. I think we were all getting cabin fever and quite honestly just getting on each other's nerves. There's no where to 'get away' here. You are stuck with each other all in the same room. I
also am just getting so tired of feeling like I'm camping out all the time. ha! Fixing my kids' lunch on the bathroom vanity is not fun!! ha! (in case you're wondering why.......the "kitchen" plugs are not working for some reason)



Just really missing those simple things we take for granted......a comfortable bed, a BATHTUB, a kitchen and full size frig, being able to get in your car without having to walk a mile, letting the kids run or jump (can't do that here because we have neighbors underneath us!), talking to Todd face to face, and rocking my sweet Caleb to sleep. This all is getting really old, so I'm praying our days here are coming to an end. Although in the same breath, leaving here means leaving our wonderful new friends the Bullis' & Opperman's. BUT....knowing we will be coming back to Omaha regularly eases my heart. They have become our forever friends!!!!

**this is a little off the subject, but needed some advice out there. I was looking through all my pictures / camera cards. Caed was sitting up on the bed with me. When I went to put the current card back in my camera, it wouldn't work. All of a sudden Caed says, "I didn't lick it!!" ugghhhh! I wanted to laugh, but I was too sick at the time thinking all my pictures are forever GONE!!! (no wonder the child has c-diff!!!!) ha! Anyway, has this ever happened to any other moms out there? Are my pictures GONE????................................................................ (and no I didn't upload any of them to my computer!)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're praying for peace tonight, strength tomorrow, and faith to get through all of this for Caed and you Lori, and the rest of the family.

Love,
Julie and the rest of the Christophers

Tana Free said...

Lori,
It's me Tana. If you have read our blog you know we have the stomach thing. Kensley is doing OK,but we are going to have more draws tomorrow. To answer and earlier question, we leave on Sunday 11-16 to return to Omaha. I hope that you are preparing to leave when we get there. I will be praying for Caed. Tell him that we are sending him all our love and strength because tomorrow is the first day of the rest of his life. Praise the Lord for you and our connection. Strength and Peace to you tomorrow and always. Hugs from Heaven, Tana

Anonymous said...

Praying, praying, praying for Caed and you (and Reagan)...for some rest, comfort, and strength tonight and tomorrow! Just so much you have had to go through but still it doesn't get any easier....will be praying especially hard at 1 p.m. Love you all....MeMe

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow is the day we have prayed and hoped for and yet, it will be so hard for Caed and difficult for you, to have to deal with the pain he will go thru. Caed has endured so much, so all the prayers that will be said for him tomorrow, will see him thru one more stressful ordeal. Looking forward to good news tomorrow and the date y'all will be heading home. Hang in there all of you. God give you comfort and strength for a few more days. Love-Grammy

Anonymous said...

Lori, I will be praying for you all today. I can't imagine the apprehension you are feeling. Be strong. You have made it through SO MUCH. I will pray that your family is back together very soon.
Lara in Indiana

we are the spencers said...

praying that all goes well today. also praying for peace! looking forward to an update after the procedure.

danielle spencer

Anonymous said...

we will be praying hard today!!! we love you guys!
kristie & greg

Anonymous said...

Lori,

Not sure you knew about this, but Childrens Hospital has just opened a new hospital to serve the children of North Dallas. It is located on Preston/Legacy. From what I understand it will have every specialty that Dallas Children's has, but less than a 30 minute drive away from Celina!! Just wanted to let you know, as you guys are coming home soon!! Praise God! Good luck today with the line pull, may God ease Caed's fears and let the procedure go quickly and uneventfully!

Brandi Dean

Anonymous said...

You have benn and will be in our prayers today, too. Hoping to get back to you soon about a time to come over. Probably will call you later today. A resident I cared for, reminded ME that God will never leave us or forsake us! What a promise. May you feel God's love around you all today!
Love you!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I've placed a reminder on the computer to start some serious praying at 1:00! I know he (and you) have so many fears. Trust in the Lord.
As far as your memory card, they do have a "shelf life". I had one die on me and it did load to my computer but never worked on my camera again. Perhaps if you can get a good connection to the card via another source, you can pull some pictures off.
Many prayers, Audra

Carolyn said...

God has gotten you through so much, Lori, and He will get you through all these things as well. Keep your eyes on the Lord and I'll be praying diligently. Just as Christ told the wind and the waves "Peace, be still", that is my prayer for you. All will be well. Just trust in Him.
Sending my love, hugs, and prayers to you all.
In His great love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

We'll be praying! We miss you guys but know that soon you will be able to go home. What a blessing. Isn't it just like our old human nature to get fearful and forget just how far our heavenly father has brought us? "For he hinself has said, never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."

Love Ya,
Brent & Angela

Anonymous said...

I've been praying today. I feel like you are also closer to being the family of 5 again real soon. Today was another big step toward that goal. May God give you all that extra strength and peace to complete your journey these past months. Will be so looking forward to your blog tonight. I pray the news is all good.