Saturday, January 24, 2009

Our unsung hero

I have thought over and over how the "true hero" of this whole experience has been our sweet Reagan Ashley. All of our lives were effected in some way. We all experienced hardships of different kinds. But....the one that stands out most is little Reagan. She was young enough to easily adapt in every situation, and yet old enough to know something very wrong was happening to her family. I can remember a time it was just she and I driving, and she began asking questions while tears flooded her eyes. My mom recounts a similar instance in which she cried and expressed how much she missed her brother. She has had to go through SO much this year. Not necessarily more than any of the rest of us....just different. She is at a difficult age. Doesn't know everything....but enough. Not only was much attention drawn to a new baby, but also another brother very sick in the hospital. I felt so many times like she was the one getting put on the back burner. Not intentionally. The other 2 just demanded more of us. I had to be away from her way too many weeks. Reagan may not be able to express in words what she has gone through, nor really understand it herself. But our prayer is that the Lord would use this experience to make her stronger. That it will always be in her heart, regardless how old she gets.

For Christmas Reagan asked for an American Girl. Long story.......but we finally were able to go get her doll last night. It was a special time just the two of us. She was so gitty. Poor Reagan has been waiting patiently this whole month. She told my mom a few days ago that she was SO excited about getting her new doll, but didn't want to "bother" either of us with it because she knew we were so busy unpacking. About broke my heart. So, we decided she had waited long enough. We drove into Dallas and went to "the" American Girl store. There are only 5-6 in the US, so this was a big deal. You would have thought we pulled up to Disney World! She searched and searched and finally found just the perfect doll. She wanted to find one that looked just like her! I think she succeeded. After we shopped, we went upstairs to the "Bistro" and had a wonderful dinner and dessert. They even have special chairs for the dolls to sit in. Too cute! Then, we walked through the Galleria and just had a fun Girls' Night Out.

I love this little girl so much. She brings me incredible joy, and I am humbled and honored I get to be her Mommy. Thank you God for this indescribable gift!




finally found the perfect one!


Reagan and "Tory"


Having fun at dinner


The Bobsy Twins

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each day will bringing you closer as a family.Just enjoy each day. It is so sweet for Reagan to be such a thoughtful girl.I am glad you had a girls day out. The American girl doll is precious. For all of you I pray for the best. My prayers will continue for you all including your parents. I know from experience the feeling they have in missing their grandkids-especially Caleb.It is so hard to stop having them around.

Anonymous said...

I got to do that very thing with my girls last fall. What a fun thing to get to do as a little girl! We would have eaten that up when we were little! The chair that the doll sat in was Emma's favorite part! She still talks about it! I bet she got her in and out 40 times during the meal! Glad you all got to do this! I know all that she has been through doesn't seem "fair", but it is building so much character! She learned a lot about life and she will be able to see how to care and love on others. That is really what life is all about isn't it? Good reminder to me!

Ashley said...

Oh, how this post spoke to me. I know exactly what your speaking of having been there with our beautiful Allison for the last 3 years. We too have a very special trip planned this very weekend to the American Girl store in Dallas. She is so excited. My heart is blessed for you to have had this experience with Reagan. How happy I am that the five of you are finally home doing all those "normal" things that make every day special. Five is my favorite number! Take care. Trish

Bethany said...

She is so beautiful...inside and out! I remember the days when she would get overwhelmed with joy at the mention of a Nilla Wafer!!! Ha-ha-ha! :)

Anonymous said...

That girl is special. When we were "Nomads" and staying at your house - I was sitting at her little desk and looked at her bulletin board...there was her daily prayer list. I sat there amazed, reading in her own handwriting the people she committed to pray for daily. Reagan is wise beyond her years and spiritual - more mature than some adults. I can see how God prepared each member of your family to be able to handle his/her role in this situation. Besides - look at her example :) You have been a rock through all of this. :) xoxoxox Jana