Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Another milestone

Tonight was a big night for this little boy. He made another small step towards "normalcy." Ever since all this happened, Caed has been very clingy to me. I remember right after he was discharged from the hospital in May, I could not even leave the room without him making awful groaning noises. (this was during the time he didn't speak much) He eventually overcame his fear of being away from Mommy.....HOWEVER, in certain situations (ie. Sunday School, AWANAS, children's choir).....he has been struggling for quite some time. When I would try to take him, he would cry and beg me to not make him stay. What is a mother to do? I struggled deeply not knowing what the best stragedy was for getting him back with his friends (alone). What was going on inside him? Was there fear? Was he self-conscious of his backpack and tube with his "old buddies?" Was he afraid something might happen and Mommy wouldn't be around to fix it? Or had he just been away for too long? It might be none of these and I'm trying to dissect something that doesn't need to be analyzed. Or it could be a combination of all of them. Who knows? I decided the best thing for me to do was not push. Just be patient with him and realize he will go when he is ready. (And I needed to stop worrying what others thought.) So, tonight (AWANAS) I told Reagan to go get ready. When I went outside to rally her in, she ran up and told me "Mommy....Caed said he wants to go to Cubbies!" I was shocked, but outwardly tried to remain unaffected by her comment. The whole way to church I kept thinking once we got there....once we stood at the doorway to his classroom, he'll back out. He'll beg me (again) to let him go upstairs with the youth. It didn't happen! He walked up, went right in, and never looked back. Yes, I was shocked, but also knew that it had to be HIS decision. In HIS timing. And when HE was ready, all would be fine. Just like before. I know this may not seem like a very big milestone. But, to us it is! Things in Caed's life took a turn upside down. Everything!! The big and the not so big. When we begin seeing the pieces fit back together just as they were a year ago.....then we call it progress. Praise God!!!!

enjoying "store night" at Cubbies

Listening during story time




Another cool thing happened tonight. Caed received a very special gift. One of our youth has a brother who plays football for Tech (Adam James)..............son of sports broadcaster Craig James. Anyway, he got several players to sign Caed a football. (Harrell, Crabtree.....just to name a few) Thank you SO MUCH for continuing to think of him!! It means more than you'll ever know!

the guys giving Caed his football

Guns UP!!!!!


**Caed had his blood drawn today. Daddy said he was very brave. They weighed him at 41.2. When we were in NE 2 weeks ago, he was 42 lbs. However, once again we are dealing with the difference of scales. (frustrating) We bought (hopefully) a good scale today, so maybe we can begin to measure his weight more accurately here at home now. ???? We'll see. I just never trust these home scales too much.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things just keep getting better. I am sure Caed has been overwhelmed just as you about being back home and away from Lubbock. It is probably just like moving again but being he is such a strong little boy and has the support of you Todd and Reagan he will slowly get back in the grove of things just like you will. Love you guys and as always keep you in my daily prayers. God is faithfull!!!!
Sheri

Anonymous said...

YEAHHH!!!! Glad to read the good news and thanks for the pics, too!
We think Caed is meant to be social and so glad he is ready in his time.
Love you all,
Carol for the both of us in NE

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see and finally get to speak to you last night. I have been reading your most intimate thoughts for over a year, I just love your heart! I hope to grow closer to you in the years to come.
Bridget R.

Anonymous said...

praise god for the progress! you were right...god is faithful! we love you guys and miss you like crazy!!!!