Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Home again...

It was a long day, and we are all exhausted. We pulled into Celina late last night, and have spent today slowly making our way from room to room. Our home was filled with mountains of boxes from Nebraska, and now we have added even more. My mom and I decided this morning to just tackle one room at a time. Today was the kitchen. I can't even tell you the number of trash bags that we filled!!! A lot has to be gone through when you've been away for almost a year. Plus, it's just nice to be able to do some 'spring cleaning' a little early this year.

Yesterday leaving Idalou was very emotional for me. Probably spent the first couple of hours in tears. Yes, I was happy to be coming back to Celina and seeing Todd and our family being together....but "Idalou" is home to me. I moved there when I was in the 4th grade. Graduated high school there and then even went back after college and began teaching in the same building I once attended. My family and friends all still live there too. I have a history there. People know me. I know them. Things are familiar, and every street has a memory attached. Those of you fortunate enough to grow up in a small community (where everybody knows your name...ha!), know that you may grow up and leave the town....but the town will never leave YOU!

As we were pulling out of my parents' driveway, a deep sadness flooded my soul. I know many reading this do not understand. I should have been ecstatic....overjoyed. I was finally (really) getting to come back home. However, as we made our way through Idalou, we suddenly found ourselves in heavy congestion. A family was having to bury their 15 yr. old son yesterday. The whole community literally paused and came together as only those small towns do. As we drove past the cemetery, I couldn't help but think......"that could have been you, Lori!" And yet, for some reason the Lord had mercy on our son, and guess what? I was finally getting to bring him HOME! Something we prayed for over and over. The Lord showed me that this was a day of rejoicing for our family. He turned our mourning into dancing. Caed is healing. He is doing things today that he was not able to even 6 mos. ago. He is a happy, energetic, alive............little 5 year old boy. So even though it was initially a sad day for me, the Lord opened my eyes (through someone else's pain) to show me His GOODNESS. To show me how He answers prayer, and that He has us in the palm of His hand (wherever we are!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for you Lori as you ride this emotional roller coaster! Not always fun! But our God is faithful and He will see you through. Have fun with your mom even though you have lots of work ahead of you. Give her a hug for me and tell her to give you a squeeze for me!
Hugs and kisses
Love,
Tina

TERS! said...

Lori, what a roller coaster of emotion... we can't imagine the waves of relief, sadness, joy, etc... however, we can say, it is nice to have the Hollingsworth Home full of love and life again on Doloris Ct!

Smiles,
House of Williams
Lee, Teri, Haley and Panna