Monday, January 19, 2009

Caed needs the sun!

Found out today that he has a very low vitamin D level. They said it is common with short gut because most are missing the part of the bowel that absorbs this fat soluble vitamin. Caed will need to start taking a vitamin D3 supplement daily. However, they said the best source of it is simply the sun. So....we are ready for winter to be over and spring and summer to get here. The more time he can be out playing in the sunlight....the better.

During our last NE clinic visit, Caed had lots of extra blood drawn. One thing they wanted to recheck was his growth hormone level. The last time they checked it was when we first got to NE when his labs were out of whack. So, today I heard from our nurse coordinator and she said it once again showed NO detectable growth hormone. We will go ahead with the Pedi Endocrinologist. I was sure hoping things were better in that department. Oh well. It could always be worse.

We had a fairly productive day with the house. Things are slowly getting back to normal. I owe so much to my mom. She has helped out tremendously!!!! Her plan as of now is to leave out Wed. sometime. I know she misses home (and my dad), but I am sure going to miss her!!!! We have been together (except for the 3 mos. in NE) for a whole year! She came here to our house a few weeks before Caleb was born to help me get things in order and ready for a new baby. Little did we know what the future held..................... God is gracious that way. We may fight it and beg for Him to show us what's in store, but He knows we couldn't handle it. He knows that it is best for us to simply live in the present. And to take one day at a time. Even now, I find myself worrying about tomorrow and the ones that follow . I am wasting my energy. He hasn't promised me "tomorrow" but He has given me TODAY. I need to make the best of it!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me not to worry about tommorrow! So true! We will pray that all goes well as your mother and "help" leaves. WE will pray that God will provide all that you need. That your church family will reach out and help you out in this time! He is faithful! We will also pray for sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog note. Hope those days in the sun are soon and plentiful! We are missing them here in NE! Thinking of you often and praying for you. Give your family hugs and love from us both. And may God "fill the gap" after your mom leaves. Be good to yourself!
Carol

Anonymous said...

AMEN! Isn't it wonderful that God provides a sun and son to find refreshment and nourishment in? i needed your words today about the future i'm so thankful for your continued witness during this situation... you are a blessing!! love ya and still praying

Anonymous said...

I was listening to the hymn -
ONE DAY AT A TIME SWEET JESUS
and then came your blog. It was so fitting with what you had written.
If only we could each remember this each day.
Still praying for you all.