Monday, March 19, 2012

"Why can't they fix me?"


Still awaiting word from Lubbock saying they received all surgical details from UNMC.

Caed is doing well. He is as normal outwardly as you can get. However incision is not changing.....

After school he and I had an unplanned heart-to-heart. He made some simple statements that have haunted me all evening. "I just want to be normal like everybody else....." I tried to quickly flip it around and remind him HOW WELL he is doing. He just kept shaking his head, and then said, "Why couldn't the doctors fix me? I don't understand why they keep putting in those blue stitches."

Honestly, I don't have an answer to his last question. I know there are worse things. I really do!! And because of that, I am grateful for simple "blue stitches." It's just been a long year...

As I am currently sitting down tonight to fill out T-ball and baseball registration forms, I am frozen. I have stared at Caed's form. I have even picked up the pen to begin writing his name in the first blank....and then I stop. Baseball is by no means our LIFE, but.....oh, Caed sure does love it! Just have no idea what we are supposed to do.

As I was looking for Caed's birth certificate this evening, I came across a file. A BIG file. I knew exactly what it was. Upon opening it, our lives from Sept. -Nov. 2008 fell out. From start to finish, everything that was Omaha, UNMC, Intestinal Rehab, the Lied, plane vouchers, rental car receipts, weekly clinic notes, labs, and of course....Caed's "journal." Everything going in as well as going out of this little boy was recorded, in depth. Two emotions swept over me: grief and thanksgiving. Very painful days were brought to the forefront of my mind reading his journal. And yet.....I was shocked remembering the details.

Lord, you have brought him SO FAR!!!! Thank you!

We have no idea what the next several weeks hold. Will there be surgery #7 added to our spring calendar? Or will there be an easy fix and Caed finally released to play ball.....to swim....and enjoy all those things he has been waiting for?

There is no way to answer those questions....tonight.

Instead, we will rest.

Rest in Your Faithfulness.

Rest in Your Sovereignty.

Rest in Your Healing Hands.

(remembering your plan for Caed goes far beyond Idalou Little League 2012)

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Yes, Lori, rest in the Lord. There is no better place!
"Find rest, o my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him". ~Psalm 62:5
Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Your words truly are inspiring and a great reminder to keep our eyes on Jesus.
Much love,
Brenda

Renee Romo said...

Lori, I'm Abe Romo's wife. I know that Abe had talked with you about our son's intestinal malrotation surgery last year...thank you for that. I have no doubt that I came across this blog for a reason yesterday. Brayden (our son) is still having stomach aches a year after surgery and I was to the point of breaking. I didn't want to see him in pain again like he was for the first 2 years of his life. Seeing all that you, Caed and your family have been through made me realize that by the grace of God...all is in His hands.

Thank you for sharing your pictures and your lives with so many. It truly has been a blessing for me. I pray that Caed heals and his courage and strength continues.

I heard the words to a beautiful song on the radio a couple of days ago..."I won't give you more
More than you can take
And I might let you bend
But I won't let you break"...

God Bless!
Renee Romo