Friday, May 29, 2009

It's finally here!

Sleeping in, staying up late, living outdoors, swimming, movies, sleepovers, traveling.......SUMMER is here!

The kids and I drove to Idalou this week to visit family and friends, but mainly so I could attend this year's graduation. These are the kiddos I taught in 1st, 2nd, and 4th grades. I LOVE this class....they have become a very special group to me. I have really tried to keep up with the majority of them through the years, so having the opportunity to see them graduate was an honor. I will definitely miss seeing/reading about them in Idalou's weekly newspaper, but wish them the very best as they enter this next phase of life.

The kids have been having a blast while here (as usual). Yesterday we went swimming, and it was the first time I have seen Caed in a pool since before his illness. Last summer, we spent lots of time out at my aunt and uncle's pool, but Caed was never allowed to get in (due to his central line). So, yesterday was especially exciting. To see Caed....and this pool.....honestly the two just don't mix. But, it was pure joy to see him finally playing in the water with all the other kids.

Since we are out of town, we were not able to get his blood drawn this week, but it will be on our "To-Do" list first thing Mon. morning. (well, maybe not first thing......) We have desperately been trying to keep the fluids down him! Every 30-45 minutes we have to make a conscious effort to bring him inside to get a good drink. It is very difficult trying to get almost 2 liters down a 5 yr. old!!! But.....it is also VERY VERY important that we keep him hydrated! I have a feeling it will be quite a battle over the next several months. But, a battle I am SO thankful for! (if the worst thing we are having to deal with is dehydration.....then Praise God!!)










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how great to hear from you. I have been concerned since the last blog I know just to be "home" with family and finally some sense of normalcy with the kiddo's is great. Pics are so sweet and love to see them having fun together.

Colleen said...

ENJOY THE SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!! you have all earned a summer full of fun!!!! Caed looks amazing!! It's great to see every one together having good times!!! May you all have a summer filled with excitement...

PS If you think of a creative way to get Caed to drink willingly... please share it with me... We need 2.6 liters!!

Always thinking about you!!

Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hi. Glad to hear Caed's enjoying swimming! Caleb has not been swimming yet, just playing in the sprinkler and with Super Soakers. That is still exciting to see. Andy's parents have a pool and are in the process of getting it ready. Caleb and Sam can't wait. I can sympathize with the hydration issues. Caleb drinks between 1 and 1 1/2 liters of ORS daily, and it seems harder making sure he drinks now that it is warmer out. He gets so busy playing that I have to remind him to drink. I know things could be worse. So grateful Caleb(and Caed) can keep hydrated without IV. Enjoy swimming Caed!

Andy, Tracy, Sam, Caleb & Katy Fischer