Friday, May 15, 2009

"Because some people haven't heard......."

.....Those were Caed's words as I looked through his little home-made book Reagan helped him make today.

I had a rare opportunity today (as most stay-home moms know). I was able to get out of the house and run some errands and get my hair cut. It was wonderful! However, when I got back, I immediately saw a new "project" that Reagan and Caed had obviously done while I was away. I sat down and asked Caed to tell me all about it.






He began with apparently the MOST important aspect of his hospital stay. ICE CREAM!! At first I was confused. "What are you talking about, Caed?.......ice cream at the hospital???" (you have to remember he ate nothing while there. We desperately tried to get him to eat popsicles....jello....crackers.....anything!) He replied with...."Yeah, remember that little room where you could get ice cream?" Oh!!! Well, of course the little kitchenette by the nurses' station. Again.....a little confused because the way he was acting......he got ice cream everyday. Here is the picture he drew of himself, "rollie-pollie" (his pole of fluids/TPN that followed him everywhere), and the (blue) ice cream.




The next page about broke my heart. I could tell immediately what it was and where Reagan had helped add in the details of his scar and G-tube. He said, "This is when I had surgery....and I cried!" Can you see the tears he drew?





Next...."This is all my family and the people who came to see me at the hospital."


Then, on the back in Reagan's handwriting it says.......

Caed got better. He went home and he was so happy. But remember to still pray for him!"

$10.45

(
apparently they are selling his story for the bargain price of $10.45!!!!!!)


I asked Caed why he wrote this story and he said........."I want people to know I was in the hospital and that God made me better.......because some people haven't heard yet."

I was speechless. Not so much on the "selling his story" part, but the fact that this little 5 yr. old is aware. Fully aware! Not medically all the details of his condition. Not the pain and anguish his mommy and daddy went through. The year long separation. The physical trauma he suffered. Nor the fact that "his story" has made its way around the globe. Nope! Just the simple fact that GOD MADE HIM BETTER!!!! If Caed remembers nothing more than ice cream, a surgery, and family and friends in his room, I pray this one truth will stay hidden in his heart forever.

It is GOD who bestowed great love and mercy on him! It is GOD who remained faithful to our family. And it is GOD who continues to heal his defected body.

Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me. (Psalm 66:16)


14 comments:

Tina Coleman said...

Beautiful story! I just might have to buy my very own copy of the book! God is so good and so faithful! While you and Todd remember every agonizing detail, God has protected Caed. Thank you Lord for saving his innocence! We continue to lift all of you up!
Hugs and kisses
Love,
Tina

TERS! said...

I will have $10.45 nect time I see you... this was such a beautiful tale... and Reagan, what a beautiful big sister to help Caed tell his story...

I know you know, but you have amazing children...

Bridgette said...

this is absolutley precious! how wonderful that Caed is telling his story-- GOD'S STORY! Lori, you keep telling the story too as many around the world who haven't heard it yet will hear it... still praying! love ya'll! bridgette

Anonymous said...

This just brought tears to my eyes. "And a little child shall lead them"
If we as adults could just have the faith of Caed and the will to keep on after all he has been thru. What a special family God has made.
Count me in for the $1O.95 when Reagan and Caed get the book ready for sale.

Carolyn said...

I love it! Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!!! Still sending my love and praying...
In His great love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Addie said...

when can i get a copy of the book!!! i love the story and it is so touching!!! i loved it

Anonymous said...

Hey Caed (and Reagan)...What a great story you wrote while Momma was gone....and special pictures! Be sure to save me a copy of the book when you start to sell them. I will sure want one...written by a "special" little guy that God saved for us to love and cherish! Love you so much....Aunt MeMe

Anita said...

WOW! Isn't that just the best thing?! That is the message that Caed walked away from that terrible year with! Praise the Lord !!!!

Greggo said...

I straight up love those kiddos. I can't remember praying harder for anyone else......not even my own family. God did/is doing awesome things. Praise our Great Father and Physician! I'll kick in an extra $2.35 for some autographs!

Anonymous said...

Just $10.45? I'd say priceless! I love it.
amy o

Anonymous said...

WOW I have read this blog several times because it is just so touching. God has truly had a hand in this and all along we have wondered Why Caed. Well I guess just like his MOM he is going to be a writer and touch more lives with his story. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love you all. Caed is so lucky to have Reagan as his big sister, she too will be able to share probaby through television thou.lol
Put me down for a copy.
Sheri C

Anonymous said...

Count me in for a copy! I felt the Holy Spirit move when I read this Blog. I know God has and is going to use your family's story in a mighty way. Caed has just the talent, personality and support to do it.
Praise God!
Bridget R.

Anonymous said...

Great story! Out of the mouths of little children! Oh, that we would have the faith of a child! Thanks for sharing, Lori! Continuing to pray for your family!
Mar

Bethany said...

Count me in for a copy of the book...autographed please! ;) I just love the way God works in and through through the hearts of our kids! Precious!

Love and miss you all-

Bethany :)