Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thurs. - 7/3 - update



Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what He has made crooked? When times are good, be happy; but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other...
(Ecclesiastes 7:13-14)

I have used this verse before, but back then I focused more on the "bad times" God allows in our lives. PRAISE GOD! Now we truly can BE HAPPY....times are good! I remember the first week Caed was in ICU just days into this ordeal, and our family told Todd and I to "leave the hospital and take a break." We went to a fast food restaurant just down the street. I was literally sick to my stomach and cried the entire time. As Todd was waiting on his food, all I could do was watch with envy how everyone else was having a "normal" day. Tears welled up as I watched families sit down together enjoying a meal. Some were chasing their kids around the restaurant, laughing, talking, just doing what families do. I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU HAVE!!!! YOU'RE TAKING IT ALL FOR GRANTED!
And they were. They were doing exactly what we had done the past 8 years. Take each day with our children for granted....we just come to expect things. As hard as this is to actually say, I do thank God for allowing this into our lives. It has changed us. It has definitely mellowed me out! I see simple everyday things in a different light. I know there will come a time when we too will start to "expect" certain things day to day.....we will loose sight and begin focusing on the small unimportant again.....BUT Lord we pray you will quickly bring to mind this experience and remember every day is truly a gift!! (you don't know what you have til it's gone!!)

We spent the day running errands and even went to the mall. Everything about it was so normal. It was exactly as it was before all this happened. (other than the 20 trips to every possible restroom!!!!) I began thinking.....now I am the "normal mom out with her kids." Were there others around that watched ME with envy? The odds are yes! God, help me to not take these "normal moments" for granted. I too have been on the other side!










4 comments:

Melissa B said...

I am so happy things are getting better!! Praise God! You have had some trying times and have been so graceful through them all. You are a blessing Lori!!

Anonymous said...

Yea this news is great!! i miss you guys and am still praying love addie

Anonymous said...

Oh Lori How i do the same thing. Get caught up in the daily stuff and not realize what we have. A gift from God. I feel like its a chore, the daily running and doing. This summer i have not taken a break to smell the coffee. Always being tired,feel like out of time to get everything done. Im one of those you saw at the food place. Not realizing what is around me. What people are going through. God has blessed me in so many ways. It has showed me though this with Caed that we do need to take some time and think about the reason we are here. For HIM OUR LORD and SAVIOR. We just have to remember that every thing has a Purpose. We don't ever wish this would happen to us, or close to us or anyone we love.But we grow out of it and learn. Ok Im just chasing a rabbit. I'll close. Don't know if this makes any sence. But you are right Lori we do take life for grant. Thank you for reminding us of the purpose for us to be here. We love you and miss you. We are so thankful for the great progress Caed is making and bring him home soon. Keri

Anonymous said...

Praise God that things are better!!! I am so happy for you and so happy that Caed is getting better. Such a hard time you have all been through. But Lori, your blogs and faith in God shows how strong of a person you are. You are an awesome mother too. I just can't imagine going through what you and Todd have gone through.
The pictures of the kids are so cute and Caleb has the sweetest most beautiful eyes and smile. You are truly a blessing Lori in so many ways. All of you are in our prayers.
Mistie Stone