Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Unforgettable Anatomy Lesson

What a difference a week makes!  Each day Caed has gotten stronger, had less pain,.....and a greater appetite.  However, the biggest change we have seen has been bedtime.  He had been getting up every 2-3 hours crying in pain for almost 10 days straight.  He was exhausted.  We were exhausted.  But, each night began getting better.  Longer time between pain spells, until 2 nights ago.....this boy slept 10 hours!  (and possibly would have longer had his mean Mama not woken him up for school!)  His energy level is definitely back 100%!

Now that we have cleared the pain hurdle, our next 2 objectives are weight gain and of course incision staying CLOSED!  We have tried for months getting Caed to drink supplemental nutrition shakes.  He would for a few days, then begin to fight us on them.  We tried them all.  Different brands.  Different flavors.  Different ways of making them.  Still no luck.

But, after our last surgery and loss of 5-6 lbs.....we knew desperate times indeed called for desperate measures.  I knew how well incentive charts work in elementary school.  Wondered if by chance it would work here at home too. 
Well, guess what? It did!  We have not had any trouble getting him to drink one each day.  Now, you may see a small 4-letter word circled in blue at the bottom of the chart and wonder if that might have anything to do with it.  The answer is most definitely YES!  Once Caed fills in all 30 boxes, he will be rewarded with a new BIKE!  (may seem extreme.....but we were planning on getting him a new one this summer anyway since his old one broke last year.....but, SHHH!....don't tell him that!)  He has already started a wish list for his next chart.  Oh boy!  47 was his starting weight.  Our goal will be at least 51-52.  We will get on the scale every Sunday.

This past week in our class we began studying Anatomy during Science.  We started with the brain....moved onto the respiratory system....and then the digestive.  I knew Caed, as well as the rest of the class would be fairly interested in that day.  These sweet friends of his have walked this tough year right along side of him.  Caed has shown them his feeding tube, and a few of them even took turns pushing water through it.  They have seen the various stages of his incision (other than when we were packing it), and have been SO incredibly supportive and protective of him.  I honestly worried at times if I was informing them "too much" of whatever Caed was going through at the time.  But, I truly believe they have learned MORE watching him this year and getting a "hands on" lesson regarding intestines, surgeries, incisions, feeding tubes, and how not everybody is "normal and healthy."

On Thurs., after we discussed how food moves through their body, I asked for 2 volunteers.  Each student held the end of a 20 foot piece of string.  It stretched a little over 1/2 way across the room.  Then I asked Caed to come up and hold another piece of string.  His piece was about 2 feet.  A FRACTION of the other one.  One little boy said, "Wow Caed!  I knew you lost some intestines, but I had no idea it was that much!"  Caed looked at me and said, "I didn't either."  It was an anatomy lesson I will never forget.  To have Caed involved in it, as well as his friends, and for him to SEE the difference.  Although I'll have to admit, it shocked the teacher too.  You can know this information in your head.  You can have doctors tell you things all day long, but to actually see it.....was hard. 

Since that day Caed has asked me so many questions regarding his sbs.  I think he is finally at the age he can really begin understanding some of it.  I also think the string lesson has helped him understand why we have been pushing those supp shakes so much.  Things are beginning to click.

Thank you for all your prayers for Caed once again during these past few weeks (especially).   It can be a reminder of how quick things can change (good OR bad).  We will go for another follow up appointment with Dr. G on Thurs.  Not really sure what to expect.  Incision is actually looking great, but it usually does at this point.  Seems to be week 4 when it goes "bad."  Deep down, I really have HIGH HOPES that this time will be different.  Fear and "what ifs" still rear their ugly heads at times, but desperately trying to cling to His Peace DAILY!

Here is a quote that really spoke to me this week.  May it also encourage you!
"Peace is my continual gift to you.  It flows abundantly from My throne of grace.  Just as the Israelites could not store up manna for the future but had to gather it daily, so it is with My Peace.  The day-by-day collecting of manna kept My people aware of their dependence on Me.  Similarly, I give you sufficient Peace for the present, when you come to Me by prayer and petition with thanksgiving.  If I gave you permanent Peace, independent of My Presence, you might fall into the trap of self-sufficiency.  May that never be!  I have designed you to need Me moment by moment.  As your awareness of your neediness increases, so does your realization of My abundant sufficiency.  I can meet every one of your needs without draining My resources at all.  Approach My throne of grace with bold confidence, receiving My Peace with a thankful heart."   (Jesus Calling)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

SO happy to hear how well Caed is doing. Praise God!!!

Amanda said...

Hello. I am a fellow SBS mom and I found your blog through another blog. I am only 11 months into this journey and I have enjoyed reading about your journey and especially your positive attitude. What a strong and wonderful boy Caed is. I see those same qualities in my sweet little boy. Caed is very lucky to have such a supportive family. Thanks for giving me hope!
-Amanda Etherington