Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Middle Child


The joy of a mother's heart. When her child first learns to write his or her name!!! Pictures like this are to be savored.......oh the sweetness, the simplicity!




BUT WAIT!



Not when it's been written on your DRYER in a PERMANENT marker!!!!!!






My first reaction was not a pretty one. I was more than upset with my little nameless middle child. We of course went through it with Reagan.....and did with Caed (when he was about 3-4 yrs. old). But, not now! Not at 6 1/2! He KNOWS BETTER!

I can't remember the exact words I used, but he knew I meant business! And he knew what he had done was wrong. However.....that was almost 8 weeks ago. My dryer still looks like this. To be perfectly honest....I love it now! I have not sought out to find any "cleaning tricks" to get it off. It has now become a reminder to me. A reminder of my little boy. And more importantly, a reminder that he is not going to stay that way! We have had our washer and dryer for 14 yrs. I have no idea how much longer they will last. I guess they could go out next week (God forbid!), or last another 20! But, I assure you if they indeed last many many more years, you will still find the mark my middle child left behind...........

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

How precious a reminder.
I remember those days and oh to have them back again.

Grammy H. said...

Hey mom, what if it had been on something like the TV screen-oh my---don't know what was in his little mind that day, but yes, you will remember that "special" little signature forever. Maybe Caleb will had his to the washer,haha.Gotta love those "growing up" years. Love to Reagan, Caed and Caleb--Grammy

Anonymous said...

Emily is 7 and she recently wrote/doodled on the wall in her bedroom! Luckily it was with a pencil and a magic eraser took it off. She had never done it before even when she was a little toddler toddling around with a crayon in her hand!

Anonymous said...

Good perspective, mom!!

Anonymous said...

My mother used to let me color with crayons on her washer (we didn't have a dryer). I assume that gave me reason to think I could color anywhere I wanted, because I moved on to the wallpaper in the living room! Instead of beccoming angry, she cut out my "masterpiece" and put it in my scrapbook! There was a large ugly spot on our living room wall for years! I remember someone asking her if I got in trouble for drawing on the wall. She said, "Of course not! I remember when we thought we would never have a child. I'm thankful that I have a daughter to draw on my wall."

That was over 50 years ago. My dear mother has gone to be with the Lord, but I will never forget her sweet words.

Colleen said...

Oh Lori, I am sorry to laugh but just when you think they are getting old enough to know better, they remind you one more time... they are only kids, thinking like kids!! You made me smile today.. Sometimes the things we react so crazy to somehow bring us such joy later!! I think it adds charactor... After all washer and dryers are boring... LOL!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud. Wonderful memories!
amy o.

Anonymous said...

Lori, such a beautiful sentiment...

Teri!

Bethany said...

Lori, Noah and Caed must have been talking...yesterday we discovered his name scratched in 2 places...the side of my car AND on our dryer!!! Ha-ha!! ;)

Stacey said...

So funny. Maybe you could make him do all the laundry. When he objects you can say "Well, it does have your name on it!"

Unknown said...

sildenafil 100mg if you have erectile dysfunction and normally find it difficult to get a complete erection, it might cause your erection to feel bigger than normal. However, it will not make your penis physically larger than its regular size even if you take a higher dose.