Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dangling Candy


Sometimes my analogies are stretched to the limit, but that's just how my simple little brain operates. And if God can use a tiny bag of M&M's to teach me something....then so be it!

I love candy! Always have....probably always will (much to my dentist's dismay). You can set before me all the cakes, pies, ice cream, and desserts in the world.....and 9 times out of 10, I won't touch them. But, bring out a bowl of CANDY???? Watch out! I love road trips because it's the one time I have permission (in my head) to load up on SweetTarts, Skittles, Milkduds, Hot Tamales, M&M's, Jolly Ranchers, Blow Pops.....ok....somebody please stop me!! (they keep me awake, of course.)


Have you ever wanted something SO MUCH?.....you begged.....you pleaded with God....you cried out.....and you literally could think of nothing else than this one 'thing.' And one day....out of the blue, the unthinkable happens. It actually HAPPENS!!! You are in shock. It can't be! God has finally opened "the door" and is giving you a glimpse of your deepest desire. It's SO close. You can literally feel it, smell it, taste it.....and visualize your new life with it. Oh wow!! God is amazing. He is SO GOOD!!! Just look at what He is giving me! BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!!!

....days, weeks, or even months go by. You are SO happy. Your dream is finally coming true! And then it happens. You get "the call." The call that sends those dreams straight out the window. You are in shock. It can't be! God had finally opened "the door?" Right? You sit disillusioned. WHY GOD? Why did you allow all this to happen? Why did you dangle this in front of me....taunting me the whole time? You KNOW my heart! You know how MUCH I wanted this!!!! How could you?

I have felt this way probably more times than I care to admit. Imagining God holding a big bag of my favorite candy in front of me. Dangling. Back and forth. Back and forth. He sees how much I want it. And just about the time I reach to grab it....He snatches it away laughing all the while.

I may not understand it all. I may not understand His Ways......BUT I KNOW my God is good. He is a loving, caring, gentle Father who takes joy in giving me great gifts. Just as I would never consciously taunt my own children with something they really wanted, I stand in confidence knowing my Father in heaven wouldn't either. So what is it? What is this "dangling candy?" What on earth is its purpose? That I don't know. However, I can look back in my life and see how that "closed door" was actually a blessing in disguise. You see....God used it. He had a purpose in it from the beginning. It wasn't to taunt me. But rather to show me if I thought THAT was good....just wait!. HIS PLANS are better than I could possibly imagine!

Sometimes the Lord gives.........BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!!

...but sometimes He takes away.........

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't be fooled...candy doesn't keep her awake on road trips!

TH

Lori said...

It does when I'M the one driving.....

Anonymous said...

Great blog! This is what I am feeling for the family here from NZ. When will their bag of M&Ms be in their grasp? Why is God waiting with what we think will be the solution? It is AGAIN, a time for trusting!
Carol

Anonymous said...

WOW....Thank you so much for this blogging this. It was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. I have really been struggling with this for a while now. I've just been praying that God give me the patients to just wait for the "M&Ms" :-)
Thanks again Lori.

Keisha

Anonymous said...

lori this still brings me to tears. thank you for writing this and reminding me of this simple truth. over 4 months later it is still encouraging

love
kristie