Sunday, November 29, 2009

Little Things

Last night as Todd, the kids and I drove back to Celina (from Lubbock)...I was overcome with gratitude to the Lord for these seemingly "little things."

-a car that made the 600 mile trip with no problems
-a beautiful November night
-enjoyable time spent with both sides of the family
-eating some of our favorites over Thanksgiving
-our comfy warm beds waiting for us when we got home
-3 giggling healthy children in the backseat

My list could go on and on....... I have SO VERY much to be thankful for! Blessings abundant and full! These little things were numerous. And then it hit me:

Do "little things" even exist?

For me.....living in 2009 in the Bible Belt of the US, many things that I consider "little," I think truly are quite BIG! There are many millions of people who would consider getting to travel in your own personal vehicle over 600 miles (problem free) HUGE. Many would consider a warm comfortable bed to sleep in....HUGE. Being able to eat to your heart's content (and more).....HUGE. Freely going to and from church openly carrying a Bible....HUGE.

These are things we have grown accustomed to. Things we honestly feel we deserve somehow. Flat tires inconvenience us. Waiting in lines irritate us. And if we don't get what we want, when and how we want it then....watch out!

I don't want to miss ALL these blessings in my life. I pray the Lord will recall them to my memory and help me to not overlook the seemingly "little ones."

Maybe the one that hit me the hardest last night was having Reagan, Caed, and Caleb all together.....all healthy....doing what kids do best on road trips.......sleep and argue! However there were times when they were almost in tears because something had got them so tickled. A thankful heart. That's what I had. Thankful for the one full year of being back together as a normal family. And thankful to see how far Caed has come!!

Lord, help me to consider all things HUGE blessings from You!!!!!! I can no longer categorize them into big and little. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow...................


But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you. (1 Samuel 12:24)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Once again your words hit so close to home. I too have been thanking God for the many blessings and yes mainly the "small ones". There have been several families close to my heart who have lost love ones over the past yr. Some expected some not. So many times we take things for granted and to be honest, every second of every day is a Huge blessing that so many take for granted. Thank you for always sharing. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Miss you all
Sheri C.

Bethany said...

Great post, Lori! There are so many things we take for granted. Thanks for the reminder. Love you!!!

TQOE said...

When I was getting my Master's at Wayland one of my professors said, "It's only a BIG deal if you make it a BIG deal."
Really he was trying to teach us to keep our wits about us and not become overwhelmed...BUT...I have learned through the years that often we make the wrong things into a BIG deal...I try to find a 'little' thing every day -- a beautiful leaf, the color of the sky, a great parking spot -- to make a BIG deal about being conscious of and thankful for...This blog about your children does exactly the same thing... I am happy you all had a great Thanksgiving...Have a blessed & beautiful Christmas season!!! Melanie

Anonymous said...

Amen...may God encourage each of us not to take things for granted and that we "deserve" them but that God has chosen to bless and encourage each one for HIM. Have a blessed day in Him.

McLays

Anonymous said...

Love the "little things" God has placed in our lives. Just forget to thank God for them most days! Thanks for the reminder,
Mar

Anita said...

Praise the Lord you can see Him in the big things AND the little things.
That's funny I didn't think you guys referred to it as the bible belt as well! :)
Looking forward to being in the same country as you soon