Monday, December 28, 2009

Good gifts

Cruelty is making your 9 and 6 yr. old wait 2 DAYS and 300 miles AFTER Christmas to see what Santa brought them. I think I understand why the tradition began for little children to "go to BED" before they can see what Santa brought them. The 5 hr. trip back to Celina yesterday was a bit hard on these two. Once we pulled in the driveway, Todd and I went inside to turn on the heat and get into position with the camera. They were beyond thrilled!





See if you can spot the similarity in these pictures of Caleb?????










Her #1 request!!!


"Snake Eyes"


Tony's backup


Reagan's new outfit



I am always reminded of this particular Scripture at Christmas-time or the kids' birthdays:

If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Matt. 7:11)


Reagan asked me the all familiar question that I remember asking my parents countless times as a child. "Mommy, what do YOU want for Christmas???" I told her all I wanted was to see THEM happy and healthy. Of course, that answer just doesn't cut it for a 9 yr. old. But, I told her she would understand one day when Lord willing, she was a mommy.

There was something a little different this year in Reagan's reaction to seeing her gifts "Santa" left her. You see, a few weeks ago....she asked Todd and I to tell her the TRUTH! The truth about this so-called "Santa." We did, and she handled it just like a child who was ready to hear it.
With maturity and lots of laughter!!!!! So, to hear her whisper comments like "Mom, how did you find this???"......brought joy to MY heart! She finally knew it wasn't some magical little elves in the North Pole who naturally have no problems making or finding (or purchasing) any toy they can dream up. She knew. The cost. The extra effort. The sacrifices. The great LOVE! And her little heart was grateful.

To see their faces. To see the utter joy.....excitement. Even if it's over a Batman cave and some boots. (that will most likely get dirty, broken, and /or lost in the coming year) It's what parents desire.....to give good gifts to their children. And yet, Jesus reminds us HOW MUCH MORE God desires to give His children good gifts.....if they will only ask.

My heart is heavy. I desire many things to be different. But...have I ask HIM???? (or just assumed "that's how it will always be?") I don't deserve "good gifts." Yes, I am right about that one I know. But, God is rich in mercy and grace. I know if my heart skips a beat every time my own children receive a gift they REALLY have been wanting....how much more does my own Heavenly Father dance with joy when I receive one from HIM????

I want to be like Reagan this year.....and KNOW WITHOUT A DOUBT who those good gifts came from! Thank you Lord for all the blessings in my life. All completely undeserved. Thank you for Your love which is unconditional....and for being so faithful even when I am not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the blog posts and pictures of your wonderful Christmas. LOVE the mall game. Do think that I would like to try it next Christmas when, hopefully, all will be here. You have such a lovely family! And I really like the family shot where even if Caleb is meling down, the rest of the family is CALM!! Carol

Bethany said...

Love this post, Lori!!! Love it. Merry Christmas. :)

Anonymous said...

Caleb has a Sesame Street toy. That is awesome. I had the Sesame Street toy when I was little(mid to late 70's). My parents still have it at there house but is pretty rough looking now. If I see one of those up here I just might have to get it. Now I just need to fing a Weeble Wobble House and the Tree Top People house and Katelyn will be set. Glad you all had a blessed Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

Tracy Fischer

Anonymous said...

Hey Reagan Nice Outfit Guess What?
I Got The Boots Except They Are Black.



Love,
Carlie

Anonymous said...

Tony's Back up that is so cool! I wish I could be his Back up. oh and before I forget nice football.

Unknown said...

avanafil 100mg recommended to take it about 15-30 minutes before sexual activity to give the medication time to kick in. For some people it can work faster, within 15 minutes, and others might take longer.