Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Down....but not out

The sick bug crept in last Thurs. night and has made its way around our home. What began with little Caleb (viciously....I might add).....next visited Reagan......then Todd......and finally Caed. So far, I think I have avoided the worst of it.

The doctors have always told us flu season would be hard for Caed, and for us to take all precautionary measures to prevent it hitting him. However.....twice in the past year, it has attacked our family, and it seems Caed is the one who gets off the easiest. I still am confused and in awe of it....but take it as a HUGE blessing from above.

Monday night I was up late (as usual), and began to hear coughing and crying. Thought at first it was Caleb, but soon realized it was CAED! ugghhhhh! I was so hoping he would avoid it altogether. By this time, I had the drill down to a perfected dance. Grabbed wet rags, towels, and a newly lined waste basket. He was crying uncontrollably. He only threw up once, but the crying continued for almost 45 minutes. We tried desperately to figure out what was wrong (enough to warrant so much crying), and finally settled on the fact that he was just scared. I think his tummy was hurting him pretty badly, but there was tremendous fear in his mind that he was really "sick" again. Todd and I tried to reassure him everyone has had this....Caleb, Reagan, and even Daddy, and that he would be ok too!

Those 45 minutes sitting at his bedside wiping his brow and trying to console the crying took me straight BACK! Will my mind always go there? Probably so. I sat there with tears streaming down my own cheeks and a sharp pain in my heart. The memories.....of a time in my life when "hopelessness" had camped over my household. It had stolen my joy, engulfed me with enough fear to fill the oceans, took 2 of my children away, separated me from my husband, and made me have to sit back and WATCH my little boy suffer and endure tremendous pain (and not be able to "fix it.")

The tears took me back. But they soon turned into rivers of praise! Thank you GOD! Thank you that Caed just has a simple little tummy bug. Thank you that we are HOME! Thank you that he is going to wake up the morning and be ok. Thank you for your mercy on Caed and our family!

For we undoubtedly don't deserve it....................

Praise be to the LORD, for He has heard my cry for mercy. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. (Ps. 28:6-7)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry the "bug" found it's way to your home, but relieved that everyone is feeling better. And, yes, you will probably always wonder about Caed--is it a "bug" or is he really sick again. I'm so sorry that he was so afraid that he was going to possibly be that sick again and would have to go to the hospital. I know he has forgotten most of that awful time in his life, but not all of it. Praise God, he can't recall all of the really horrible pain and agony that he went through. We will rejoice, if all he has to deal with, is a 12 hour junk.. "Bug, bug, go away". Mommy doesn't need you. Stay well...Love to all..Grammy

Anonymous said...

Continuing to pray for you all. IT's amazing how GOd walks us through our fears and turns our hearts to Him and what HE has done. May you all be encouraged at this time of sickness and be given the strength needed to walk through physically, emotionally and spiritually.
Greetings from NZ McLays

Kelly said...

Sorry you all got sick. I know you are probably worn out from playing nurse to all! Glad you are all feeling better. Give the kiddos a hug from me. Love you..Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori - My Son Cody had mid gut volvulus at 16. He has 15mm small bowel left and 55cm large bowel. Result of undiagnosed malrotation. God bless you and Caed