Saturday, February 7, 2009

A real team






For those of you who have followed the blog from the beginning, you will probably appreciate this more. Last year at this time Caed was finally old enough to sign up for t-ball. He was SO excited and would talk daily about his "uniform, cleats, glove, etc..." I will never forget the day (3/10) I was standing by Caed's hospital bed when my cell phone rang. We had just finished getting him up out of bed and walking several feet out to the hall. It was excruciating for him. He cried and cried in pain. Simply walking 10-15 feet was an enormous task, and it was emotionally as equal for those of us helping and watching. It broke my heart to see him suffer so. And also put in great perspective that my "little rambunctious 4 yr. old" couldn't walk on his own. We had just got him back in his bed, and I stepped out in the hallway to take my call. I didn't recognize the number, so I wanted to get away so I could hear. It was Caed's t-ball coach in Celina informing me of his first practice. I tried to hold my composure and briefly explained our situation. As I hung up, I fell to my knees with my head up against the wall. My little boy's dream of being on a "real team" wasn't going to happen.........

.....at least not then.

Today I just got through sending Caed's t-ball application in. When I told him, his eyes lit up, and he said, "on a REAL team??" I said YES! I told him he would have a real uniform, a real glove, go to real practices, and REAL games! His smile said it all.......

I promised myself last year after answering that phone call that I would not take simple things like t-ball for granted. Before all this happened, I probably had the idea that things like this were just a "rite of passage.....a given" for little boys. I now know that are not! We are not guaranteed tomorrow. Make the most of the day you have been given. It IS a gift!!!

Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth. (Proverbs 27:1)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I surely remember that day!I was wondering if he was going to be able to try again this year. Praise the Lord! His little "dreams" can come true. He has come a long, long way since March 1st, 2008. May we all never forget, the blessings of "Today". God is faithful--Good luck on your "team", Caed. We will all be waiting for your first "real" game and to hear about the day that you "hit a home run". I love you---Grammy

Melissa B said...

That is very cool! Go Caed Go! I want to see some Tball video ok?

Anonymous said...

From a Mother of a big time baseball boy, I am so excited for you guys!! Never be afraid to cheer to loud and don't be surprised when you cry when he scores that first time. I did and my little boy had not been through what you guys have. I hope he enjoys every moment!! Jennifer Carroll

Karis said...

How exciting for Caed! God is so faithful in every way! I bet Caed will have the largest cheering section!

Anonymous said...

Praise the lord for T-ball. Please inform us of the games. We WILL have to make one!!!

*ErinSimmons* said...

Wow! Good for you guys!!!! Good luck Caed!

Erin

Anonymous said...

We remember the video of Caed playing baseball here in Omaha; he made TWO home runs as Mom captured him running the bases. There were no "REAL" players, but Caed gave his all. Caed is amazing; wish we could come to a game. Who knows... we will be going to Lubbock in March and might be able to go to Celina even though it's not on the way. Send us the T-ball schedule. Go Caed!!!
Cork & Carol

Bethany said...

Please send us his schedule!!!!!! Thanks!

Love ya-

Bethany :)