Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer



Baseball is officially winding down.  What a great year!  Even though Caed had to sit out 3/4 of the season, I wouldn't change a thing.  It has truly been a blessing that he has been able to step in like he has and at least finish out the remaining 8-9 games with his teammates.  He is doing WONDERFUL and the incision is still closed!  When you look at him, it's as though this entire year of surgeries never happened.  We are continuing to push supplemental nutrition and eagerly watching the scale inch higher and higher.  It's pretty amazing to remember back to what he was like on Opening Day.  So frail.  Literally skin and bones.  Don't get me wrong.....the boy still needs some meat on him, but he is definitely MUCH stronger.  And happier!

Last June he had signed up for Baseball Camp, but instead was forced to say good-bye to summer, and travel over 900 miles to have an unexpected hospital admission and surgery.  This year....he is BEYOND excited.  Not only will he be able to finally attend that Baseball Camp (with some of his teammates), but also add in Basketball Camp too.  Both are right up his alley.  We also have already been swimming 4-5 times.  I know these things seem so routine.  So normal for summer.  But, for Caed....the last 2 weeks have literally been LONG-AWAITED answered prayers.

As I was putting the boys to bed last night, Caed asked if he could pray first.  I always love to listen to him pray.  He amazes me....the things.....the people.....the other sbs/transplant kids (he has never met) that he always remembers.  It's the little things.  The things I take for granted or quite frankly, don't think of until I hear Caed voice them.

Last night's was simple, yet it caused my heart to sink.

"Dear God.........thank you for finally closing my tummy up....and for letting me play baseball.....and swim....and take baths."

He very quickly moved on to other requests, but I stood there staring at the floor.  YES!  THANK YOU GOD for doing each of those mundane, ordinary, easily taken-for-granted things.   This year was ((tough)).  I still don't understand WHY it all happened the way it did, but am SO INCREDIBLY grateful for the timing in Caed's latest healing. 

Summer.

Here's to many more lazy days at home....with friends....with a glove on our hand.....or goggles on our sun-burned face.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

SO happy for Caed and your family! Your words warm my heart.