Friday, September 17, 2010

And the rehab continues...


We have officially weaned Caed off the formula he has been on these past 2 years. The infant version is broken down and much easier for sbs patients to absorb. However, at our last NE visit, the only concern the docs had was the lack of weight gain. So, after a couple of months weaning....we are now 100% on the Jr. version. The kcal increase has been evident. Caed has gained a whole pound in the last 2 weeks. The only problem we are seeing is his output. His stools are straight liquid again (3x/daily). NE said this is common and sometime when there is a change in formula, it can take awhile for the body to adjust. (or he has some bacterial overgrowth again.) I'm really leaning on the formula being the issue. His labs continue to look good, so we are grateful for that.

It was just a reminder to me that we continue to travel this LONG road of intestinal rehab. Todd and I have had our sights set on Jan (our next NE visit) for the possibility of his tube being removed. Right now, I'm not so sure. (which is ok) Caed continues to do SO WELL!!! It'll happen when it's supposed to. It's hard to see Caed outwardly and not expect that same "normalcy" on the inside. When the doctors first told us 2 1/2 years ago that this was just going to take lots of TIME.....I never in my wildest dreams thought it would be this long! (...and it's still not over). Caed has a chronic condition. It will never go away. But....that g-tube will. Someday. And for me, that will be the indication rehab is finally over.

Please specifically pray that Caed's body will begin absorbing and adjusting to this change.

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good news, Lori. Caed is truly being healed. God has brought him so far. I am in awe of what the Lord has done in Caed. Praise Him! I'll still be praying about the adjustment to the new formula. As always I'm praying for each of you. Can't wait to read your book....
In His great love,
Carolyn O'Cain

Anonymous said...

I am wishing for my son only to have his G-tube... he still has his central line, and is on tpn 18 hours every day. I would be so happy if he only had his g tube. We have been fighting for 2 years now and are so fare from the "finish line". You are lucky :)