Saturday, December 5, 2009

Coming to America

No, I'm not referring to an Eddie Murphy film, but would like to introduce a very special family to you.

Maybe I should start at the beginning of a 100% God -ordained meeting. I think it was back in the spring when I opened up an email from a "stranger" named Anita who was from NEW ZEALAND! As wild as that alone is.....it was not necessarily uncommon. Since starting Caed's blog, I have received emails or comments from "strangers" all over the world. Have also received many messages on Facebook from short gut moms from just about every continent. It has been amazing!

However, this particular email was a little different. I knew right away I was not talking to just "another mom." She spoke of her faith in God and how they were trusting in Him to meet such a desperate need for their little girl. Soon after birth Aria (now age 3) was diagnosed with a very rare bowel condition known as full Hirschsprung's disease. There is no cure, and she will never be able to digest food. Aria desperately needs a life-saving intestinal, kidney, and liver transplant. However, she can not get one in NZ.....but instead was recommended to UNMC (Omaha) for their wonderful intestinal transplant/rehab program. (thus the connection to us) After a few emails and several buckets of tears.....Anita and I soon began what was to be a wonderful long-distance cyber-friendship. :)

After MANY months pleading with the NZ govt for funding, the time has now finally arrived. God answered their prayer a week ago, as they will be flying to the US on Mon., Dec 7th (along with a nurse and film crew) to begin this life-saving adventure. Omaha will be their new home possibly for several years pending Aria's transplant and recovery. They have a little 2 yr. old son who will also be making this journey with them.

PLEASE join me in adding Aria to your daily prayer list. She is a beautiful little girl with such an enormous heart. This is such a HUGE endeavor for their family. Can you even imagine? All I can do is take our time/situation there in Omaha and magnify it 1000+ times!!!! A truly overwhelming ordeal. Just the fact of having a critically ill child alone can be excruciating....much less then moving to another continent!

They will be getting on a plane in approx. 24 hrs. (our time), and arriving in OMA late Mon. night. Aria is in the hospital right now in lots of pain, so the flight over will not be an easy one. I know they would appreciate LOTS of prayer in the days ahead.

You can follow their journey on their website:

aria.org.nz

God has been amazingly Faithful thus far in regards to even the tiniest of details......I can't wait to see how He continues to work out His plan!!! (and also for the day when we can finally meet face-to-face!)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Just wanted to let you know that when you finally get to meet Anita and her family, let them know they have a support group over here in IL and soon in MO. We're praying hard. I, too have dealt with Hirschsprung's Disease and it's a battle for sure. I know God will take care of them. God Bless you all!

Anonymous said...

It is so amazing what GOD can do. I am so happy that Caed was able to have a good night out with friends. Friends are often what keeps us going and what would any of us do without them.
Will add your friend from New Zealand to my daly prayer list. What a scary experience they must be going thru.

Anonymous said...

Lori! Just hearing the word Hirchsprungs makes my heart fall into my stomach! We are so fortunate that Jack had short segment Hirsprungs and not his full digestive track! Please know that I will definitely be praying for your friends...this is so close to my heart! Love, Heather Cathey