Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"I just can't stop smiling!"



....those were Caed's words as we drove him to school on Monday. He was so very excited, which of course made it much easier on Mommy and Daddy. He has a wonderful teacher who is a good friend of our family. That simple fact has taken much anxiety off my heart. She KNOWS Caed. She knows all he has been through, and loves him very much. I am so thankful that the Lord has surrounded Caed with many teachers/staff at the Elem. who are watching out for him. I have talked with his teacher and also the school nurse. They feel it would be beneficial for us to share with his class about Caed, what he went through and also show them his mic key button.

I made a little book with pictures so we could read it to them and then let Caed keep it in the classroom the rest of the year. I know it will be good for his friends, but this will be really beneficial for Caed as well. To be able to tell his story to his peers is so good for him! (his play therapist would be so proud) :)














Now, all that needs to be done is taking these to Staples and get them laminated and bound. Caed loves "his book" and has asked me to read it to him many, many times. He especially loves to "read" it to Mommy now. He is excited to take it to his classroom!

Reagan also has had a great first few days of school. Her only complaint the first day was that she didn't have any homework! ha Let's see how long that attitude lasts.

I, on the other hand, have had a lousy back-to-school week! Began getting sick on Sunday afternoon.....and finally hit me HARD Mon. night. I don't think I have felt this sick in a very long time. What started out as a cold, soon went from bad to worse. Ended up with the stomach junk. I am finally starting to feel a little better. The fact that I can sit at the computer is pretty significant.

However......now we have another sickie on our hands. Caed began throwing up early this morning! Oh...I hate this for him. Stomach bugs will hit him harder, and I can only pray his won't last long. So...he made it to school 2 days before getting sick! Hopefully this is just a 'fluke' thing, and won't become a problem. Something the principal and nurse were concerned about when we visited with them last spring. (Caed being exposed to rampant "public school stomach bugs"). This will be a big prayer request for him this school year.

Thank you to all who have been praying specifically for ME lately. I did have a rough few days, but of course God has already eased my heart and given me peace. (just what I prayed for!) I am a home school mom who feels passionately about it and believes in it 100%. So, sending my children off to school 7 hrs. a day has been difficult for me. Although I KNOW God has called me to take some time "off" and use it for some much needed (emotional) rest. I still struggle with issues that led me to home school to begin with. I know this year is going to be GREAT for Reagan and Caed. They will flourish and learn and have lots of fun!! Please don't misunderstand me. I am not bashing public school!!! I am simply saying it is more difficult for me than most are realizing. Just because I am sending my kids off to school this year, doesn't mean my heart has all of a sudden changed. There are those nights when I sit and rock Caleb to sleep and have to stare at my bookshelves lined with hundreds of books and curriculum. Torture....by the way! :) I miss it. It is who I am! And yet, I also know I cannot give them what they need and deserve right now. Hopefully I can use this time to simply catch my breath. I know the Lord has multiple purposes for this year...not just for me, but also Todd, Reagan, Caed, and Caleb!


Ready to see all He has in store for us!



*just something that made me laugh:
Caed has thrown up several times this morning, but a few minutes ago, he sat up and asked me if he could "walk."

Mommy - "Sure! Just take it easy."

Caed - "Well, I remembered in the hospital the doctors said I would get better if I walked."

(ha!.....that was because of the surgeries!!!!) Anyway, I didn't let on.....just smiled and told him he was RIGHT!

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Thinking of you!! OHHH I dread the stomach bugs... Devin is all set to start school Sept 9th, but the Swine flu scare is making us think twice.. Immune suppression really puts a twist in it... He is so ready, I am so ready, but can we take the chance? We are waiting to hear from the transplant doc. I will leave it in his hands. Always something!! Live for a day of no worries!!
Hope Caed is feeling better soon! Hope he and Reagan have a wonderful school year.
Just to make you laugh.. like Caed walking... Devin is going for a colonoscopy Sept 3rd... he want to know home they will scope him because he doesn't have a ostomy any more... poor guy!!
Always thinking about you!!!

Natalie said...

You are such a great mommy!
The book idea was genius!
Natalie

Kristie & Greg said...

i love the book! brought tears to my eyes! i pray caed has a wonderful year in school and you have a much needed break!!
we love you guys!

Anonymous said...

I do so hope that by the time I post this you all will be feeling better.My saying at these times is saying " This too shall pass "
I will be keeping this as my prayer for all of you.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know we are still thinking of you guys and praying for you daily. We love you!
Libby and David

*ErinSimmons* said...

WOW! He's doing sooo well!!!! I love all of the wonderful ideas you have! When are you guys coming back to NE?

Unknown said...

tretinoin 0.1 cream as a result of its effects on your skin's cellular turnover speed, tretinoin reduces the appearance of wrinkles, evens out your skin's pigmentation, and also treats skin issues such as acne.